A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Audi a4 2002 key fob issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi a4 2002 key fob issue

Hey audi guys, id like to see some suggestions or ideas on what i can do to my problem. Thanks in advance. Recently my key fob went down, i changed the battery but still wont work (key fob). The key is perfectly fine which is good because it will let me start the car at least, but i cant lock the doors, open the car with the control or trunk. The problem is overnight i have to lock the car from the inside but only will lock 3 doors ( passenger, back ones). Driver side will remain open. Now lets say if i order one from ebay or get a key fob that matches my serial key fob number, could i just replace my key to the new key fob and just reprogram it? . Keep in mind it is only the half bottom piece from the key fob that is not working (buttons). And how do i know that this is just a problem with the key fob and not with the computer lock system? ....
Old 03-24-2016, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Here is what I copied from another thread. If that doesn't work, you will have to get a VAGCOM and do yourself per the link at the bottom or take to a dealer.

To program the remote functions on a new key, get in your car with the car off and the driver side window rolled down.

insert the new key into the ignition

insert your valet key in the driver side door lock (outside the car)

turn the valet key towards lock and hold it there

while it is held towards lock, press the unlock button on your new remote for
2 seconds.

let go

press it again for 2 seconds

let go and you should hear an alarm honk or something like that.

This is from memory so it may not be right.

Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Remote Control Matching Info
Old 04-06-2016, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing you can do is pull the fob apart. Then on the pcb you will see 4 prongs, if they look a little flat, try gently prying them up a bit higher, this allows better contact of the battery. Over time they get flat and put out a weak or intermittent signal. Put your fob back together and put you key in the drivers door, lock it then unlock it. Get in the car close the door, put key in ignition push lock button and it should lock your car, push unlock and it should unlock the car. Then you should be all set. If it still doesn't lock your drivers door, i'd be looking at the door locking mech.