A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Audi Symphony II question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Symphony II question...

Ok, so I totalled the Symphony II.

7 disks in a 6 disk changer = bad. For some reason when I put CD #6 in, it didn't register and the unit still felt that slot #6 was empty. Now I knew I would have to service to get this repaired. Well, I've been unable to service and consequently forgot why slot #6 was still open, so in went CD #7 and that was that.

Since I'm not the original owner on it, I popped the Headunit out and noticed that the seal was broken, so I'm SOL there. I open the top and take a gander and, well, it's pretty much shot. Aside from totally taking a chunk out of a CD, one vertical and two horizontal gears are cracked with one being completely out of the gear assembly. The 6 CD tray is totally off balance and stripped from it's gear assembly and the door is jammed shut.

I was able to save the rest of the CDs, but just by looking at it I know I'm gonna need a replacement.

So any idea on how much it would cost to replace the headunit?

Also, will the car accept a headunit that has had just its CD changers swapped?
Old 05-26-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Damn, that is some **** poor luck

Best advice is eBay and or Clairparts.com. I am sure you won't have an issue sourcing one on eBay.com or eBay.de. In regards to the unit code, for some reason I am never asked to put in the code to opporate the unit however when removing it from one vehicle and inputing it into another I'm sure it will prompt the question. In which case just make sure any unit you buy has a verified code to go along with it. Expect to pay around $250 for used unit but prolly few hundred more for a new one from Clairparts.com. Good luck. Also if you are on good graces with your Audi dealer, I would still give it a try and have them possibly replace it under warranty.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts
Default What part number is the Symphony?

Assuming you are in the US, I wouldn't recommend to get a radio from ebay.de, the tuners are different and you would loose most of AM and XM/Sirius. Clairparts and ebay.com is one option, visiting <a href="http://www.navplus.us">navplus.us</a> and posting a Wanted message there might help too. There are a couple of people who have upgraded to the RNS-E and may have their Symphony for sale.

In any case, make sure you get the same (or a compatible) part number. Not all units are for the A4 B6, and not all units are SAT enabled. If you don't have the OEM SAT receiver right now, this might be a good time to get one with the right head unit.

The Symphony II in the A4 B6 gets "married" to the car when it gets first connected. Therefore you should not need a code unless you swap the whole device. However, if you buy a used unit, make sure you get the code because it will prompt you for one eventually.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Re: i have an answer..

I'll get back to you on this.

Gonna take it into the dealer next weekish and see what they'll do.

If they wont cover it, and can't find one elsewhere (I really only need the CD deck. The cassette and the rest is find and dandy) I'll let you know.

Thanks
Old 05-26-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: no problem..

i look forward to hearing from you.

honestly tho, i am considering to just hang on to it only b/c if i plan to sell the car (ever..) i will most likely put that instead of the Navi + setup.

Please understand.

=]

in any case.. like i said, i do look forward to hearing from you.

g'luck with whatever you choose~
Old 05-26-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Good point with Euro units. Totally slipped my mind.

Either way I am sure he won't have hard time tracking down a unit.

OT: Dirk, thanks again for all the help this past month.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Re: good point German. =]

you a good guy Scott.

^^;

holla!
Old 05-26-2005, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 1 on ebay under 100

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7976874357&catego ry=38640&sspagename=WDVW"> ebay </a>
Old 05-26-2005, 01:19 PM

Default LOL

Thanks bud.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Re: Good point with Euro units. Totally slipped my mind.

You are welcome...

Quick Reply: Audi Symphony II question...