A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Bad News of going to Rerverse while MOVING, tiptronic....arghh

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad News of going to Rerverse while MOVING, tiptronic....arghh

hey guys i did something really stupid...i have an automatic transmission

well, my knee accidentally turned the ignition off while my car was on the highway moving 70mph in D mode...my car turned off while moving so i tried to stop fully to restart the car...

BUT, accidentally, moving forward at 35mph, i put the shifter into reverse, and my car jerked for like 2 seconds and i hear a grinding sound... the eventually stops and i turn the car back on and continue driving...

i always hear how ppl on highway going 60mph accidentally go to reverse and the whole tranny fails and drops, so i am worried about my tranny...
on the drive back though, my car seemed find, nothing abnormal.

how screwed up is my tranny b/c of this? how about my engine?

argghh..
thanks guys.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's probably fine. I put the gear into R when going about 60km an hour. Heard the clicking noise.

that tranny is still fine and the car was driven for 30K since then.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Bad News of going to Rerverse while MOVING, tiptronic....arghh

I did the same thing a coupla weeks ago - my fuel pump went and shifting into N I accidentally over****ed in R - the engine revved high - and I though 'o sh#^' - but its been fine since...
Old 07-28-2006, 03:37 PM

How faast were you going when you shifted into reverse? i was going about 30mph moving forward...did you hear a loud clank/grind noise and did your car tug?
oh and do you have auto tranny?

sorry for the questions,,,im just so worried about my tranny..
Old 07-28-2006, 03:46 PM

I was probably also doing about 30 - and when I realized what happened I freaked out - worried that the dealer was gonna tell me the tranny was trashed, but nothing. I don't remember any specific noises, but I think you'll know st is wrong (if it is). Also - with all the high tec ****e that goes into these trannys I can only guess that they expect/prepare for this to happeen. I woundn't stress - you're probably fine...
Old 07-28-2006, 05:20 PM
DWP
AudiWorld Super User

If it runs, it's probably OK. You should VAG it though - if it threw codes, clear 'em.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:23 PM

if you didnt hear anything, did you at least feel something?what did it sound like when you put it in R?
Old 07-28-2006, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It is OK, because the engine was not running when you put the shifter into reverse,....

the trans could not actually shift mechanically into reverse. I can't explain the grind you heard, I though maybe the park lock was ratcheting, but you didn't put the lever in park.
If you had really damaged something in the trans, you would have had symptoms or an outright failure right then. The trans is designed to prevent damage in situations like you experienced. For various reasons, it happens all the time, that is, the engine quits at speed, and the driver misses neutral or something.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:10 PM

Default Re: It is OK, because the engine was not running when you put the shifter into reverse,....

really? as long as the engine was NOT on, going into reverse (while still in fast forward motion) is not as bad? i am assuming it would be alot worse if the engine was on, right?
i hope so...

well i did drive my car again after this incident, and there seemed to be no difference or any sound or anything. hope its a good sign

when this happened, i guess i didnt hear a straightforward grinding sound, but it was more action than sound...like the car began to shutter and shake like ABS for 2 sec when i put in Reverse, until i put the car back into D mode...

and also, is turning off your engine while its in D mode and running at high speed bad at all?

thanks!
Old 07-28-2006, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would have thought an auto would be protected electronically from instances like these.

My thoughts: Because it's not a manual shift into gear, right? So a tiptronic should be controlled by the ECU to check for speed and direction before safely putting it into other gears, or worse, reverse. That's what I thought so I'm surprised why they (Audi) should let this happen.

Quick Reply: Bad News of going to Rerverse while MOVING, tiptronic....arghh