A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

BBK - UltraSport Fitment Search results and Other BBK info and Findings

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBK - UltraSport Fitment Search results and Other BBK info and Findings

I found that the OEm 18" Ultrasport Rims have a ET43 offset (lower the offset number is the more clearence you have for a caliper) and that this offset does not allow for even a 332mm BBK. So the solution - 1. Buy new rims 2. Cheaper - Buy a Spacer, someone mentioned that you need at least a 5mm spacer but I found one person who used a 8mm spacer and had 2mm of clearance - So i would get a 8mm spacer)

Also with BBKs in general - The Stoptech - unlike the alcon or the brembo - allows for very quick brake pad changes - which would allow you drive to the track, remove your wheels, and in minutes replace your street pad with a track pad

Additionally, it was recommend to me that A zinc coating on the rotors is worth the extra $100 if there is even a charge for it. The coating will limit rust and flaking while improving the life of your rotor - especailly for people who use the car as their daily driver

Finally - for a daily driver a dust shield is a must - the dust shield would function to prevent salt/crap buildup on the pistons - Do Alcons havea dust shield?? I was told they may not - if they don't I don't think I would get them as I only track my car a few days a year

Sorry for the length, but there is a ton of things to consider with this mod - and I could prob go one for a few more paragraphs about other facets of the BBK mod
Old 08-01-2006, 11:00 AM

Default Re: BBK - UltraSport Fitment Search results and Other BBK info and Findings

i have stoptechs, pad changes can be easier than other calipers sice the bridge can be unbolted and removed, however make sure to coat the bolts with anti sieze so they won't get stuck. it might be easier to remove the caliper since its 2 larger bolts on the alcon system and brembo.

the dust shields are already on the car, you shouldn't have to remove them in order to fit the brakes onto the car
Old 08-01-2006, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default For what it's worth, the 3rd-hand Alcon B Type I've bought were used for ~5 years with no dust...

boot. I had them rebuilt recently, and was told the pistons and seals were still perfectly fine.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: BBK - UltraSport Fitment Search results and Other BBK info and Findings

The diameter of the rotor (13 inch, 14 inch or bigger) as nothing to do on whether the caliper will "clear" width wise the wheel. The ET, the design of the wheel and its width will.

Like I answered you before (prior post), I'm 99.9% sure the dust shield will work with the Alcons or most BBK.

As for pad removal, the Porsche mono blocks are very easy to do. The stoptechs require you to remove the bridge (which can seize) and with the Alcons the pads can be changed by removing two 10mm allen bolts slipting the caliper in two (sort of) and letting you have access to the pads for an easy RE/RE.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:12 PM

Thanks
Old 08-01-2006, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the post - def a help
Old 08-01-2006, 12:47 PM

Default Just Spoke to Jason At Stasis - And

He informed me that the Alcon Calipers have a "double dust shield" and are salt spray and dust tested. (wilwood calipers do not have this) These calipers are also found as OEM on some Bentleys and Jags in UK. The calipers have 2 bolts that are easy to remove and allow a simple pad swap on track days.

Additionally Stasis has run their 14.5" BBK on the OEM ultrasport rims, and assure fitment without wheel spacers of all their BBKs under the OEM 18" ultrasport rim.

Looks like the only flaw in the Alcon Kit is the $$ - Ugh
Old 08-01-2006, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gots to pay to play :-(
Old 08-01-2006, 01:00 PM

Default Sux don't it

Whys the best stuff always have to cost the most lol
Old 08-01-2006, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it does.

Quick Reply: BBK - UltraSport Fitment Search results and Other BBK info and Findings