A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

BOSE engineers confirm bug in latest Symphony head unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOSE engineers confirm bug in latest Symphony head unit

I bought a new A4 3.0 Avant back in January with a build date in December which included all the 2004 mid year changes. I also purchased the car with the NAV system and Infotainment option. About a month after I purchased the car I noticed that the music would fade in and out while the car was moving. Just imagine as if someone was turning your volume from 8 to 1 and back every 2 seconds. After some investigation, I can reproduce the problem everytime. At a stand still, the system sounds fine, but as soon as I hit 10 miles an hours it starts to fade in and out. This effect is most pronounced when the volume is set to 6. It doesn't matter if you are listening to radio, satellite, or CD.

Audi called the techline which in turn called BOSE. Apparently BOSE knows about this problem and there is no known solution. Just to be sure, they pulled a unit from a new car in the lot and hooked it up to my car. It still exhibits the same problem. My car has now been sitting at the dealer for 4 days and now they are returning the car in no better condition and telling me that I will have to wait until they have a fix for this problem. I called Audi's customer support and they are pursuing this issue from another angle.

Does anyone else have this problem. Audi told me only the most recent Audi's have this problem.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default maybe i'll test that on an 03. all i know is my auto volume thing is not working.

i speed up/down--volume stays the same whether i turn the option off or not
Old 06-16-2004, 03:30 PM

Default How about a problem with the repeat or random functions

I would think that of the 3 settings that you can use when you set it to the random disc option wouldn't the next track be selected from all of the disc's not just the current one playing?
Old 06-16-2004, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

did you try shutting off the speed sensitive volume function?
Old 06-16-2004, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I believe that the CD changer is coded to play something like 65-80% of the CD before switching to

another CD to save time. I read this in one of the radio manuals..
Old 06-16-2004, 04:51 PM

Default I had this problem ONCE...it went away.

I'll check it out though.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, mine does that too
Old 06-17-2004, 07:56 AM

Default That's the other problem that option is not available

to me. I pressed the mode button for three seconds and cycled throught the options and couldn't find the SVC option. Dealer said it was normal.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Same troubles, more details...

My stereo was perfect when I got the car in late April ('04.5 A4 Avant, 6MT, Sports, Premium, Info, Rear AB, Atlas Gray), except the AC was mostly broken and blowing warm air (103+ degrees in L.A. that next weekend tipped me off.) Got it looked at, leaking compressor, got that replaced, icy cold AC, and an instantly freaking-out stereo.

Mine now has the same volume palpitations, the trouble is the issue is wildly inconsistent, thus I cannot readily demonstrate it to the dealer. It happens, but apparently only when the weather is warm, ~75 or warmer (and living in SoCal, it's gonna be warm a lot.) The whole system checks out fine and says all systems normal when tested at the dealer, but clearly that ain't right.

Start the car in the morning, rarely a tremble; start it in the eve, seldom a twitch; go to lunch on a warm day it's freaky Friday for the next hour+. FM, AM, CD, doesn't matter. The problem may go away after a while if the car is well vented and the interior cools down... so I really don't understand. Warm/hot days = stereo troubles.

Called the dealer. They replaced the Symphony II head unit (twice) - not the problem. Called AoA to report it - they haven't a clue. Called Bose - they are aware of a situation, say it is possibly related to the AudioPilot and that is controlled by the amplifier in the trunk, so check the amp. Did a little research and found a similar problem on the Nissan 350Z. Nissan has a recall from Oct. 1, '03 with Bose to replace the amplifier for '02 cars.

http://www.nissannews.com/corporate/recalls/2003/relnissannews2003101142908.shtml

"...noise compensation feature of the Bose audio system may cause the volume and bass to go up and down unexpectedly or cause the volume and bass to be exaggerated or excessive at times"

Talked to the dealer, talked to AoA.

The end result: It's a "software problem" that 40+ cars (so far) in the US have, and Audi Engineering is working on a fix - though that could be months away. Can't replace the unit, can't disconnect the AudioPilot microphone (won't help, just causes errors,) not related to the SVC, can't turn off the AudioPilot function.

This last week the weather has been mild, so my stereo has been fine. But this weekend is going to heat up.

So, yeah... Enjoy. Be patient. Go figure.

Still love the car, it's a beauty and a great drive.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Are you sure your Bose has AudioPilot? AFAIK, only the TT's Bose implementation has it. <m>

We just have speed-sensitive volume compensation (SVC), which adjusts the volume strictly based on the vehicle speed, and not interior noise.

Quick Reply: BOSE engineers confirm bug in latest Symphony head unit