A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Can someone post the Techron Fuel additive details? (search don't work at work)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone post the Techron Fuel additive details? (search don't work at work)

vibration at idle is making me sick (literally)
i look at my hands, rear mirrors, interiors..etc when the car is at idle and it's all shaking!

freaking crazy.

a tractor trailer has smoother idle than thi A4.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:04 PM

Default Techron (long)

The stuff is good but it's not a mechanic in a bottle.

From the Chevron Web site
Fast answers to your questions about:

Q: Why should I buy Chevron gasoline over lower quality gasolines?
A: Techron, the special ingredient in all Chevron gasolines, makes them unbeatable at helping your car perform at its best and with the lowest possible emissions. Virtually every car on the road will give its best possible performance and lowest possible emissions using Chevron gasolines with Techron.

Lower quality gasolines can leave harmful deposits in your car's engine. As these deposits accumulate over time, your car may begin to hesitate and stumble during acceleration, knock or lose power. Chevron gasolines with the Techron additive are unbeatable at cleaning up and avoiding deposits. There's no better way for you to protect and maintain your engine's performance than by using Chevron gasolines with Techron. [Back to top]

Q: Exactly what is Techron anyway?
A: Techron is Chevron's latest representative of a family of compounds, called polyether amines, that are highly effective at fighting deposits in an engine's intake system and at avoiding contribution to combustion chamber deposits. Twenty years ago, after discovering that these compounds were effective deposit control additives, Chevron patented them and has been reformulating and improving them ever since. There are many Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) technical papers, peer reviewed by the industry, that tout the benefits of polyether amine deposit control additives versus other types of additives. [Back to top]

Q: What's different about the Techron additive compared to other oil companies' gasoline additives?
A: Most other oil companies use deposit control additives in their gasoline that do an adequate job in the engine's intake system, but many of these additives contribute to combustion chamber deposits. Excessive combustion chamber deposits can cause an engine to need a higher octane gasoline to avoid knock and run-on, or loss in performance. These excessive deposits can also cause higher emissions of nitrogen oxides. In contrast, Chevron's exclusive deposit control additive, Techron, provides intake system deposit control performance superior to many other additives, plus avoids contribution to harmful combustion chamber deposits. [Back to top]

Q: All the major oil companies say that their gasoline is great. Why should I buy Chevron gasoline?
A: When auto manufacturers design and build a new engine and emissions control system, they know they must prove to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) that the car can go a long way and still operate with very low emissions. That's why all three major U.S. auto manufacturers use only Chevron gasoline with the Techron additive to help their new engines pass the tough EPA 50,000 and 100,000 mile emission system durability tests. They buy and use only Chevron unleaded gasoline, even though they must purchase the Chevron unleaded gasoline in Kentucky and pay to truck it all the way to the Detroit area, because Chevron does not market gasoline anywhere near Michigan. For more on the History of Names and Hallmarks gasoline supplied to the Big Three, click here. [Back to top]

Q: Could my car benefit from using Chevron Supreme gasoline with Techron?
A: Chevron Supreme with Techron can maximize performance in cars designed to use high octane gasoline. High octane Chevron Supreme can give knock sensor-equipped cars faster acceleration or quieter performance than lower octane gasolines. No premium gasoline sold will give your high performance vehicle more power or a quieter ride than Chevron Supreme with the Techron additive. [Back to top]

Q: My car owner's manual says that I can use regular unleaded gasoline. Is it true that a car engine's octane requirements can increase over time?
A: Yes, and Chevron Supreme with Techron has high octane that can maximize performance in cars with a need for increased octane requirements. Over time, deposits can accumulate in your car's combustion chambers. These deposits can cause knocking, pinging, run-on or reduced performance, particularly if your car has driven over 15,000 miles. A high octane gasoline can help you reduce or eliminate these problems by improving your engine's combustion process. While some of these engines may be satisfied by the octane offered by our Plus grade, others may require the even higher octane of Chevron Supreme. So if combustion chamber deposit build-up is affecting your car, Chevron Supreme with our Techron additive can help restore its performance. [Back to top]

Q: I've seen your advertisements that say your Supreme gasoline has "more Techron." What does the higher dose of Techron do for Supreme customers?
A: The higher dose of the Techron additive in Chevron Supreme can clean up dirty carburetors, fuel injectors and intake valves even faster than our Regular and Plus grades. This attribute can be important for customers who occasionally purchase a lower quality gasoline, or who own a vehicle that is particularly sensitive to deposits. [Back to top]

Q: I already buy premium gasoline. Why should I buy Chevron Supreme instead of my current brand?
A: Deposits on carburetors, fuel injectors and intake valves can cause your car to produce higher emissions, which contribute to air pollution. Chevron Supreme with Techron is unbeatable at cleaning up and avoiding these deposits, giving you reduced emissions compared to lower quality premium gasolines. And unlike the deposit control additives used by many other oil companies, Chevron's exclusive Techron additive cleans up intake system deposits without contributing to emission-causing combustion chamber deposits. If you are concerned about a cleaner environment, Chevron Supreme with our Techron additive is an environmentally responsible choice over lower quality premium gasolines. [Back to top]

Q: If you add more Techron to Supreme, does that mean that Regular and Plus don't have enough? Are these other grades worth purchasing?
A: Regular and Plus have an ample amount of Techron to maximize performance and minimize emissions in the great majority of vehicles. Chevron Supreme is designed for use in those cars that perform better with a higher octane gasoline. As an added benefit, Supreme's extra dose of the Techron additive cleans up dirty carburetors, fuel injectors and intake valves at a faster rate than our Regular or Plus grades. [Back to top]

Q: I've seen the black bottle of Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner in Chevron service stations. What is the difference between Techron and Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner?
A: The principal difference between Techron and Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner is additive concentration and rate of deposit clean-up. At the concentration present in Chevron gasolines, Techron over many tankfuls will help clean up deposits on intake valves without contributing to combustion chamber deposits. So, over time, Chevron gasolines with Techron are able to reduce or eliminate deposit-related hesitation and stumbling during acceleration caused by deposits. A bottle of Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner, when added to gasoline according to the label instructions, results in an additive concentration roughly 10 times stronger than the dose in our gasolines. This mega-dose of Techron provides a much quicker clean up of intake valve deposits left by lower quality gasolines. In addition, the high concentration of Techron reduces combustion chamber deposits, which can help reduce or eliminate deposit-related engine knock and run-on. [Back to top]

Q: Do I need to use Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner if I buy only Chevron gasoline?
A: If customers are loyal buyers of exclusively Chevron gasolines, their cars very likely are delivering their best possible performance and operating with their lowest possible emissions. A bottle of Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner, therefore, is not likely to provide any benefits. However, if you sometimes purchase a lower quality gasoline, you should try Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner to quickly restore performance lost due to deposit accumulation. [Back to top]

Q: Is Techron just a more diluted version of Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner?
A: Not precisely. While both are polyether amines of very similar structure, each is optimized for its particular application. Techron cleans engines and keeps them clean through regular use of a lower additive dose, while Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner provides a quicker clean-up through intermittent use of a higher additive dose. [Back to top]

Q: My car is knocking and pinging. What is causing this? Can Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner help?
A: Knocking and pinging is generally caused by improper combustion in your engine, called "auto-ignition." If the gasoline-air mixture auto-ignites somewhere in the cylinder (other than at the spark plug) just after spark ignition, the auto-ignition combustion wave can interact with the spark-initiated combustion wave, causing the vibration we hear as knock or ping. Increasing engine load, temperature, compression, spark-advance, air-fuel ratio and combustion chamber deposits all increase the tendency for an engine to knock.

Using higher octane gasoline reduces an engine's tendency to knock. If excessive combustion chamber deposits are contributing to the knocking problem, you may benefit from adding a bottle of Techron Concentrate Fuel Cleaner System to your next purchase of gasoline. [Back to top]
Old 02-21-2003, 01:27 PM

Default I've tried this...

and the jury is still out. Word is that it takes two treatments/two tanks for it to really work.

The car has less vibration at idle, I have about 70 miles on my first treatment. But it's also been quite warm lately and the idle vibration is definitely related to the ambient temp..

Try it out. Even if it doesn't do anything you might be surprised.