A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

coilpack lore #6

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coilpack lore #6

Here's a link over to the B5 (Passat) discussion forum. A poster named MN Snowman has put together an info sheet for 1.8T owners about the coilpack problem. Nothing really new, except for further speculation about ECU reflashing, but I thought some of you might like to look in. Happy reading, actually I'm impressed by the level of discussion over there.

Hey CPM, this MN Snowman is your alter ego. I referred them to your links.<ul><li><a href="http://clubb5.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=33587&amp;page=1">http://clubb5.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=33587&amp;page=1</a</li></ul>
Old 01-15-2003, 11:15 PM

Default Hi 1/4 scale. Thanks! There's an interesting difference that stands out:

NM Snowman states that VW says to not drive the car but to park it and have the car flatbedded to the dealer. Driving it can cause catalytic converter damage, etc.

From our end, We've all seen the form letters from AoA that says to go ahead and drive the car to the dealer and that they would repair any secondary damage (most here take exception to their suggestion and have the car flatbedded).

Now I'd like to share an observation:

Several folks have reported a second coilpack failing while the car is at the dealership on having the original failed coil replaced. Others have reported a second failure shortly after leaving the dealership. It's starting to look like more than mere coincidence.

That said, 'auditech' (a dealership Audi technician) has discussed the frailty of the coilpacks when they're not held in place by the harness (or brackets on earlier models).

I'm beginning to suspect that this frailty issue rears it's ugly head during coilpack replacement and is quite possibly responsible for these coincidental second failures.

Quite frankly, I'm reluctant to take the recommended approach to checking the part number on these coils. I'm beginning to think it wise to leave them alone and just wait for my turn for that probable failure. For what it's worth, virtually all 2002 A4 1.8Ts were built with 'H' coils; there's really no need to check unless a good reason surfaces (like buying your own 'J's and replace them yourself).

By the way, we now have data on 175 folks who have experienced one or more coilpack failures.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:46 AM

Default That's precisely why I haven't checked mine yet...

I was going to check them before I went on a long trip, and decided that I'd hate to mess one up due to handling (static charge, flexing, or whatever) It would also explain why there are a large number of failures by people on this board, possibly higher than the general public.

An interesting question to add to your survey would be if the person has ever removed the coilpack prior to failure. (although I'm sure some people may not answer honestly if they have...)

By the way, 11k miles, and no failures yet.
Old 01-16-2003, 04:02 AM

I dont think many people have checked them here though.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're right..

I definitely remember April saying on here several months ago that part of the problem is that installation of the coils at the plant was partially to blame for the failures.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:57 AM

Default Re: coilpack lore #6

Clubb5 rocks.