A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Crickets?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crickets?

New 1.8T has ~1200 miles on it has developed a "cricket" noise somewhere in the interior and is driving me NUTS!!! every little bump in the road and there it is "chirp" "chirp" I even took all my keys off my key ring to make sure it was not them. AND just for the record...the 1.8T is a PIG in +90 degree heat! It seems to like ~78 and below.....no chance in TEXAS!!
Old 04-23-2002, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've heard the same thing...

With the warmer weather, I've been able to have the windows open (yes!). With the windows open, I've heard the same "chirping" sound when going over a large bump in the road. It doesn't happen with smaller bumps, though.

I'll be checking with my dealer on this.
Old 04-23-2002, 05:05 AM

Default Re: the 1.8T is a PIG in +90 degree heat

Really? I haven't noticed it. I'm in Alabama (where we too spend several months a year in 90+ heat) and I would say exactly the opposite. My car seems to like the heat. You may push the limits of the car more than I do (and this may be where it shows up), but I have been very happy with the performance of the car in heat (even with the AC working away) relative to other cars. Of course I think the AC affects it a little, but not as much as many other cars. I have always thought my car like the heat much better than the cold. I had always attributed it to not taking as long to get up to opperating temperature. In fact much to my surprise, I have discovered that I get better gas milage in the summer with the AC than I do in the winter.
Old 04-23-2002, 05:34 AM

Default Re: the cricket

I snuffed out my "cricket" by locking the back seats in place - using my key, not just the red banded tab.
Old 04-23-2002, 05:57 AM

Default Re: "...better gas milage in the summer with the AC"

Oddly enough, I noticed the same thing the other day and was wondering if it was just a glitch.

We've only had 1 day of reasonably hot weather here in Toronto and I noticed on that day that my mileage was improved, even with AC on.

Maybe it wasn't a glitch after all?
Old 04-23-2002, 06:01 AM

Please pass it around the circle so we all can take a puff
Old 04-23-2002, 06:09 AM

Default could be the sunroof gasket. Known "squeak" problem.

Fix is to use some silicone spray lub on the rubber gasket. I found if you tilt the back of the sunroof up (vent setting) you can get at 2/3 of the gasket, Moving the sunroof to the rear gets you access to the front. Worth a try. would eliminate one possibilty
Old 04-23-2002, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Crickets?

Your kidding on the performance in the heat right? I thought Heat Soak caused decreased performance on turboed engines? Anyways, back to the crickets....i don't think its the sunroof, it does sound like its coming from the rear area somewhere...I usually try to drown it out with the Bose...but geeez its annoying. Will take to the dealer when I get get a damn day off!
Old 04-23-2002, 07:36 AM

NASTY Chirping/Squeaking sound in mine is coming from the back seat
Old 04-23-2002, 08:00 AM

Default Re: Crickets? Answered

I had this, and got it fixed.

The strikers on the rear seat backs were not adjusted properly. My dealer nailed the problem in 5 minutes and I was out the door in ten.

Do your seatbacks lock? Mine did not even engage the latching mechanism, so there was no need to pull the little lever to bring the seat backs forward.

I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Crickets?