A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

DEAD BATTERY because of a FAN with a mind of its OWN. (WON'T STOP Running)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 07:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DEAD BATTERY because of a FAN with a mind of its OWN. (WON'T STOP Running)

Just like DOZEN"S of you I have in my possession a car with a mind of its own. When you shut the car OFF and walk away the engine fan starts running intermittently. As a result the battery dies! I would love to hear how the dealers resolved your problems. Why no Recall from Audi? My car has a few thousand Miles and is untouched...no chip no XM no nothing!! $$,$$$ and problems. If Audi doesn't handle this right it will be my last NON-Japanese car.

Interesting things to note.
- I do notice some water present near the left footrest after washing the car.
- The EEC module was removed to chip the vehicle before I had second thoughts and replaced it immediately.
- Vehicle was rear ended before

Audi of America in (Rochester Hills, MI) 1 800 822 2834

Let's concentrate our efforts on these select few Audi representatives. It's not that they have done something wrong (Quite the Contrary, They have all treated me great on most occasions) It's just that we should concentrate our efforts.

Kelly Roland
Amy Milz
Maria Vazquez
Kelly ????
Old 05-12-2004, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wait, I'm reading a rant obviously...but did you even take it in yet?

and why would they make a recall for that. It has happened before, but not THAT much.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:51 PM

That problem can be fixed by replacing the ECU - hope you're not chipped.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: wait, I'm reading a rant obviously...but did you even take it in yet?

I respect your presumption that I didn't take it in yet. You are in fact right... I haven't taken it in YET. NOR DO I WANT TO. I don't buy an AUDI to have it on a Flatbed three times in 2 Months. I want some ammunition so when I go to the dealer and they feed me all that BULL**** I know how to respond. I work in the industry (Not for AoA of course. Don't get me wrong I am really enjoying my new car. However, this better be the last of my little nuances or I'll never purchase a NON-Japanese car again.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: That problem can be fixed by replacing the ECU - hope you're not chipped.

I dont want this to be me!!

Posted by choolie on 2003-10-06 14:22:55

"It has been two weeks now and the dealer still doesn't know what's wrong. They have put a milliamp gauge on it. I think that's what they called it. And they said anything below a 50 is good. Well, my car is fluctuating between 20 and 800! The head tech is so frustrated and/or perplexed that they are calling in a regional head tech. They said that all my faults are showing up in the convenience control module now and the fan isn't kicking on like before. I just asked her "At what point do you start replacing with new equipment?" "This stuff seems like it's fried." She said that there are any number of computers that could screwing everything up.

What the hell? Now I'm getting scared. I have to have a car that I trust enough to take on road trips and to use daily for work; I'm in outside sales. At what point do I start asking for another car? This is crazy. The car only has 6000 miles."
Old 05-12-2004, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Chill, if you take it to the dealer you bought it from they have to give you a loaner and then all

is good. If they don't have one, then get a rental and AOA should reimburse you.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hahah.. you are funny. Every car has its manufacturing problems.

Manufacturing anything in large quantities has a potential for some flaws.

If you really believe that all japanese made cars are flawless think again. I've heard plenty of stories of Honda/Acura lemons, Toyota/Lexus lemons, just pick any online forum and there are plenty. If your car truely is a lemon, AoA will do you right. That's why states have lemon laws.

Give your dealership a chance to fix it. If they can't, then go start the paperwork to get your car lemon'd.

This is the first time I've heard of this issue coming up. FWIW, I have nearly 40k miles on my 2002 and I haven't had any problem with my fan.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I have a feeling you are going to screw yourself over.

I guess enjoy the car while you have it.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:41 AM

you're crazy...but did you even take it in yet?
Old 05-13-2004, 04:43 AM

amen.

Quick Reply: DEAD BATTERY because of a FAN with a mind of its OWN. (WON'T STOP Running)