A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Did you know?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you know?

Since I'm bored, I thought I would start a list of interesting/relatively unknown features in the b6. Most of this is covered in the manual...but I'm sure most people haven't taken the time to read it. Some of these are painfully obvious, but I guarantee someone will read it and say "I didn't know that!" In fact, I thought I knew everything until yesterday when I stumbled across #2.

Feel free to add anything I may have missed.

1) If you hold the auto button on the driver's side HVAC control, it will synch the driver and passenger temperature controls. This will remain synched until the passenger controls are changed.

2) If you leave your manual in reverse gear, turn the car off, but leave the key in...the reverse lights stay on.

3) There is a trunk key slot located near the license plate lights. If the alarm is disarmed, you can press this button to open the trunk.

4) The stereo's right tuning **** is a quick way to skip tracks on a CD.

5) The + and - buttons under the clock can be used to brighten/darken the instrumentation lighting.

6) The radio stores separate settings (i.e. bass, treble, etc.) for FM, CD, etc.

7) There's a small sun visor located above the rear-view mirror.

8) The sunroof has a "comfort setting" to prevent buffeting: just turn the sunroof **** fully open, then back two clicks. This will eliminate cabin pressure w/out the need to crack a window.

9) There are storage trays under the driver and passenger seats. (duh)

10) If you tap the turn signal you will get a 3x signal flash...perfect for lane changing. (duh)

11) Press menu while listening to CD's to activate the random play feature. "Random CD" will randomly play songs on a CD until you stop it whereas "Random Changer" will randomly play all the songs on one disc before it begins randomly playing all the songs on another disc (selected at random).

12) The roof of trunk has a couple hooks to hang handles of shopping bags to prevent them from falling over/sliding.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:35 AM

Default I think some years don't have #9 and I thought #7

was supposed to be to keep light from the dome light from hitting your rear-view mirror when driving at night (but I have used it as a sun visor too)
Old 01-12-2005, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ho boy, you must be really, really bored. I'm sorry to say but I knew all those things...

Except # 8, because I don't have a sunroof.

I don't understand #2. If I leave my car in reverse gear with the key to the OFF position, the back up lights do not remain ON. Both my B6s are/were like that. Maybe it is A Canadian thing.

As for #5, I personally think that they don't dim enough. I like a black cockpit, especially on a dark roads at night. Glare from inside the cockpit affects your night vision and actually tired you out by over stressing you eye muscles.

Here is one I'm sure everyone knows. The delayed last wipe of the wipers after the use of the W/W.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The mini sunvisor is there to prevent the sun from creeping in between the two main visor and the...

The rear view mirror.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Add this one to your list, I'm not too sure how many people know this one...

<b>If you select the flasher stalk to either left or right flasher ON and turn the ignition to OFF the four parking lights will come ON and when you open the door the light chime will also come ON.</b>

This is done for parking car in narrow street at night so that the car can be more visible. It use to be that only the side the flasher was selected to ON would come on but I guess Audi decided it was better for all four lights to come on now.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default #12

And your cargo net has two metal rings that attach to the hooks allowing you to partition the trunk with the net.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...and that light emits from the door handle area (inside car)
Old 01-12-2005, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thats not set up on US spec cars, it is activated with the vag mod that allows seperate fogs from

low beams. For the early B6's at least. A feature that I use actually.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default #12 not true for early built B6 A4s...

My A4 didn't come with any hooks in the trunk. Also, I had a very plain cargo net that didn't have a pocket nor the rings used to stretch the net and latch onto the hooks.

Believe it or not, but bascically everything you've listed can be found in the owner's manual. It's a must read for every owner.

I just did it again with my Ultrasport to see what changes may be found. One thing I've found is that the manual now includes pictures and wording to also cover some features that are also found in the S4.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I stand corrected

and yes, most of these are covered in the manual...I think I stated that at the top of the list.