A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Got my Bilstiens Sports from Shox.com today..and DAawp!!,front has no adjustability!.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my Bilstiens Sports from Shox.com today..and DAawp!!,front has no adjustability!.....

Well, maybe thats why their slightly cheaper, I double checked and it does have the same part No's. that Neuspeed has on their catalog for their Bilstien sports...but I guess they machine extra grooves on theirs...

Oh well...You think its a real crucial thing?...if theres no adjustment...would the drop still be equal...Assuming Bilstien..machined the single perch corectly?
Old 08-15-2003, 12:28 PM

Default I think that the fronts should have the adjustability and not the back

this is what I learned about that when the groupbuy was done:

"To clarify, The front of the B6 shock has spring perches, the rears don't. On the B6 the coils are mounted separately, no rear shock for the new A4 should have any spring perches.

For adjustability in the rear, then you need to get separate adjustable spring perches. Even the application specific coilover kits like H&R
and KW are this way."
Old 08-15-2003, 12:38 PM

Default what I mean to say is:

If you look closely at the rear with the tires off you'll see that the spring mounts onto a perch that's not on and is separate from the shock. The springs are mounted seperately from the shock in the rear setup of the B6 rather than having the springs sit on the shock. The springs sit on something else.

Because height adjustability depends on the spring, in this case it is not allowed since they are not really mounted together as a unit. This is why ride height is fixed.

I'm not sure how coilovers would work with the B6 application.

I hope that's clearer.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think Neuspeed, GreedSpeed, and SPP modify them.

You may need to find someone to grove the fronts so you can drop it about 1/4 inch over the Bilstein stock setting. The backs can not be adjusted.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yup, understood how the Rear Shock / Spring Assembly .But the Front Bilstiens that I got...

Only has 1 groove on the shaft for the Spring Cup to sit on..(atleast that what I see)..Does your front Bilstiens have multiple grooves on the shaft which I assume called perches for height adjustability?...I'll post some pictures later of my Bilstiens..maybe I'm missing something....Each Front Shock only came with the Damper,a Spring Cup and a Nut & Washer.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well,does it really need xtra grooves?would its pre-fixed single setting look & work ok?(more)..

I'll be matching the Bilstiens with Neuspeed Sport Springs and they estimated the Springs alone will drop the car about .75" to 7/8"

....You would think Bilstiens will machine the location of its fixed single perch on the their Front Shocks correctly in order to maintain a correct equal level of drop on the car...
Old 08-15-2003, 12:59 PM

Default strange. my front bilstein shocks had 5 perches in total

I believe that, as Dustin A4 pointed out, this was a modification that Neuspeed makes to the Bilstein shock assembly.

The shocks purchased directly from Bilstein would not be adjustable.
Old 08-15-2003, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually they do not modify them, Neuspeed Bilsteins got grooves
Old 08-15-2003, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Soo0..should I worry on using these fixed version?Sorry,I'm Being redundant,just waiting for answers
Old 08-15-2003, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you wont have a problem, just wont have the height adjustability

Quick Reply: Got my Bilstiens Sports from Shox.com today..and DAawp!!,front has no adjustability!.....