A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

headlamp cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlamp cleaning

noticed my left headlight was dimmer than the right. went to check it out and noticed the projector is really dirty. how do i got about cleaning the projector? do they just screw out of the headlamp assembly?
Old 01-22-2008, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You can safely clean then inside with water & soap.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:58 AM

Default Re: headlamp cleaning

I recently encountered a similar problem with my '02 A4. The stealership accidentally knocked open one of the little bulb change doors on the driver's side headlight, and over time, a film of dust accumulated inside.

Below are the steps I took to clean the inside of the headlight without disassembling the entire unit:

1. Remove headlight and disconnect wiring connector

2. Remove low and high-beam bulbs, turn signal bulb and holder

3. Mix up a solution of equal parts ammonia-free glass cleaner and distilled water

4. Pour solution (approximately one cup) through the bulb-change openings, ensuring the rear surface of the projector lens/cutoff baffle is wet

5. Agitate/shake around the headlight assembly, making sure all of the interior surfaces/front of projector lens/reflectors are wet, drain

6. Rinse repeatedly (four or five times) with distilled water (shake it around again), drain completely

7. Using a hairdryer on the COOL setting, dry out the headlight. Periodically move the hairdryer from opening to opening (turn signal bulb opening, high beam opening and low beam/projector opening). This is the most time consuming step - it took me two hours to get it 100% dry

8. Install bulbs and turn signal bulb/holder, close up the unit, re-attach electrical connector and fit the unit back in the car. The end result looks as good as new!

It's crucial that you use distilled water (not filtered, de-ionized or tap) to avoid water spots after everything dries. Also, the headlights are pretty well sealed so ensure it is 100% dry before closing it up or it will fog up down the road. Make sure that you use only ammonia-free glass cleaner; the polycarbonate is sensitive to ammonia and will discolor if Windex et al. are used.

This process worked extremely well for me; I have halogen headlights, so no leveling motors or high voltage components, as is the case with HID ones.

Although damage to the headlight is highly unlikely if the above steps are followed, I'm not responsible if any occurs.

Cheers,
Will