A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Help: Burning clutch smell? Is anyone else having this issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Burning clutch smell? Is anyone else having this issue?

After driving on the highway and going into city traffic I smell something close to a slipping clutch or riding the brake. The smell comes thought the ventilation system. This has happened about 5 times in the past month. One time I pulled over and tried to find the smell, I smelled the brakes (nothing), opened the hood (nothing). The smell lasts for about 15 seconds and goes away. Does anyone else have this problem or have any ideas?

The only idea I have is that I am not pushing the clutch in far enough when at a stoplight. The car is not moving, however the clutch could be slightly engaged? Is this what the clutch engagement issues are?

Ideas please????

Notes:
I know not to "ride the clutch" so after I shift I take my foot off the clutch pedal.

I have always driven a stick shift (15+ years) and I have never had this happen with a car before. And my clutch lasted 200K+ on my Accord. (I am trying to rule out driver error.)

The car is also hard to shift into second when cold. Is this due to the clutch not being fully engaged?

About 1600 miles on the car.
Old 12-18-2001, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Help: Burning clutch smell? Is anyone else having this issue?

In general to make a clutch smell like that, IMO you would have had to rev the engine real fast while really SLOWLY releasing the clutch, rather than find that point where the driveshaft engages the transmission after a shift. I find the 1.8T clutch close to the floor and very easy to work. The Honda allowed you to 'feel' the process a little more as it is lighter and incorporates less sound deadening. I also owned an manual Accord and enjoy working the gears in my '02 A4. As to the 2nd gear shift problem you mentioned, I have never owned a manual where occasionally you'd have to exert a little more force when shifting. Emphasis on occasionally. This was more prevalent during colder mornings.

If this happens again, maybe you should alert dealer for a service visit. Although, then you would not be able to recreate the problem ;-)

Just my $.02

Good Luck!
Old 12-19-2001, 03:34 AM

Default Re: Help: Burning clutch smell? Is anyone else having this issue?

Hmmmm ... were you eating beans the evening before?

Seriously, I can't help you with your smell, but the 2nd gear engagement is normal. My Passat 1.8t (and now my A4 1.8t) did the same thing. The gearbox just needs to get warmed up. If this happens after the car is warmed up, then you have a problem.

Good luck with the smell. Could it be something on the exhaust? Perhaps the slower speed of city driving allows the smell to enter the cabin?? I'm obviously just guessing - anyone else?
Old 12-19-2001, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have dealer check actuation. If I recall correctly, it is hydraulic.