A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Help-Water leak from Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2023, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help-Water leak from Sunroof

Hi all,

Need some critical help. My passenger side [back and front] carpet is soaked with water.

I have narrowed down the leak, after tearing apart practically the whole interior to some stress cracks in the frame holding the sunroof assembly. Seems to be plastic. Basically, if I pour water into the passenger side drain on the sunroof, I see water exiting the passenger door correctly, but if I puddle it close to that drain, it starts to leak into the roof lining and inside the dash just above the glovebox. Water seems to go from roof lining, down the pillar and through the dash. What I also find interesting is the water is also pooling at the back lining on the passenger side which doesn't follow the right path to the sunroof drain. This last piece is baffling me.

However, pulling apart the front of the roof lining and checking the drain lines for cracks turned up unsuccessful. Seems water is leaking from the housing of the sunroof and through a rivet holding it up. As for the back pooling, I have not idea.. seems to be a different issue.

Therefore, I basically have no idea how to fix these issues aside from possibly getting some flexseal and see if it will hold.

If anyone has any ideas or knows if this is a common problem and can share some tips/fixes, it would be greatly appreciated. I just dropped 2 grand on brakes and such and did not need this problem at this point.

2005, Audi A4 B6 1.8T 300K km

Thanks....

Last edited by AudiDriver14; 04-10-2023 at 12:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SC_09iduA (04-15-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 96 Likes on 91 Posts

Check to see if the drains under the battery and brake booster are clear. They like to plug up and fill the cavity and water leaks in either by the fresh air intake or by the ECU box. When you park, are you leaning towards the passenger side by chance?
Old 04-11-2023, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cybersombosis
Check to see if the drains under the battery and brake booster are clear. They like to plug up and fill the cavity and water leaks in either by the fresh air intake or by the ECU box. When you park, are you leaning towards the passenger side by chance?
Thanks for the help Cybersombosis.
I have checked the drains under the battery and do wish it was that easy, by pouring water and seeing if they drain. It is all good.

More, I have found the leak to be hairline cracks around the plastic holding up the sunroof. Basically if I plug the drain on the sunroof closest to the passenger side and puddle some water close to that drain, it starts to leak from the roof and from a rivet holding this up and then trickling down the b pillar (when I had it on) and into the dash Seems this plastic assembly is rivetted on by factory(wish I knew what it is called).

I would imagine something similar is happening to the back passenger roof as well as the lining is wet. I have read about trying some captain trolley but as I have everything apart in my card, I do want a permanent fix. Would hate to have to do this again. Not sure what to do, and if this is a common problem. No I am not parked/leaning toward the passenger side.

thanks
Old 04-13-2023, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Found similar video for context

Hi all,

Any update would be appreciated. I have found a slightly similar video, although different car, but showing water coming from the sunroof frame as opposed to drains. See below:

Please tell me if silicone caulking might work or captain tolley or anything else that would get into what I believe to be minute stress cracks. Hoping someone had similar issue and fix as I am going to be getting some rain again soon.

thanks
Old 04-13-2023, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Only one way to find out.
Old 04-13-2023, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cybersombosis
Only one way to find out.
is there a particular silicone you would recommend? My captain tolley is not coming until may and kinda regretting buying it for this reason. I need something fast and something I guess waterproof. Thx
Old 04-13-2023, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Silicone sealant.