A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

A humble complaint about the forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A humble complaint about the forum

Ever since I purchased my Audi about two years ago I have used this forum as a place to find information about my beloved vehicle. I do not post much, but when I am looking for information I will use the search function or review recent threads. However, I am continually annoyed by a specific trend among posters. The continual replies to peoples post the tell them to use the search function. I know that most of the people that reply this way have been on the forum for a very long time and they get tired of seeing the same things get posted repeatedly. However, IMHO if you do not have something productive to add to the post, DO NOT POST. I imagine that most of the people are like myself and aware that there is a search function. Recently I was trying to find posts on how to reset the service interval using the search function. 80% of what I found were posts saying, "Use the search button." Well it turns out that does not get me any closer to my answer. Maybe if people answered the question or just didn't post when they didn't want to answer the same question again, the search button would become a much more useful tool. Also, it's in the owners manual is also a bum answer. What if you bought the car used and didn't get one? Well then you are stuck with the search button and posts that say, "use the search" and a cute link titled "click" or people telling you to read the manual. Sometimes people just make things more difficult than they have to be.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bully for you!

I agree. Altho is is fun to type RTFM! ;-)
Old 09-14-2005, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default sooo many words.... without paragraphs

What if you bought the car used and didn't get one?

Then report immediately to your audi parts department and request one. Once you get it... READ IT.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:25 PM

Default yeah but then when people take your advice and don't post

some people get their undies in a twist and complain about that.

I can see your point, but there's no silver bullet.

I agree with qfrog to a certain extent. People shouldn't get mad when someone suggests to read the manual and then they get upset because they don't have one.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:45 PM

Default I've gotten around this problem in the past by taking the time to explain my question.

Providing some background on what you need to know generally gets you the answer you need, even if the answer is well know to the slew of regulars who surf this forum. However if you just ask the question, short and sweet, (for example: "Are ecodes plug and play" or "where's the fuse box) you're bound to receive a few "do a search" or "RTFM" type responses from the same dozen or so people here who like to post that sort of thing.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

sheepfu what body kit is that?
Old 09-14-2005, 05:27 PM
B56
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kersher body kit
Old 09-14-2005, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just say you searched but to no avail. now answer my question!!!!
Old 09-14-2005, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default look it up in the archives.

that better?
Old 09-14-2005, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default still: search first, ask questions later.

often, i cannot answer a specific new question, but do recall a long & detailed answer given to someone, months or years ago who had exactly same problem.

Quick Reply: A humble complaint about the forum