A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Just purchased my first Audi 02 A4 1.8T Quattro did I get a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased my first Audi 02 A4 1.8T Quattro did I get a good deal?

First off Hello all! I just purchased my first Audi from a guy near my house. It's a 02 A4 1.8T Quattro 5spd. It has 139,xxx on the dash The guy I got it from just had the Headgasket,oilpump/pan/pick up line,Turbo,waterpump and timing belt replace had papper work to prove it. The car is clean very clean for as old as it is now. Like I said it's my first Audi Im ussaly a Subaru guy but I wanted to try something diffrent Not to mention I only paid 2400 for the car. Now for the bad I need to replace the lifters its making a slight ticking noise from the top end. In my research I have found that this may be caused by a faulty Cam Crank Tensioner??? Not quite sure The guy said he was going to have the lifters replaced as the mechanic instructed but he decided to purchase a new car(money seems not to be a issue he pulled up in a new CL55 AMG) He said he was just tired of messing with it. I figured it was a good deal due to the condition of the vehicle. My questions to the Audi world is DID I get a good deal? What could this "ticking" be? Also what are some good starting mods. I don't have to much money right now but working on that one lol. I would be the third owner of the car also the car is completely stock. Thank you and any information would help. I can add pics if anyone is interested!!!
Old 11-11-2013, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

This sound?

Old 11-12-2013, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I thought that might be it but sounds like a diesel. I cracked the valve cover off today and the chain was new and the tensioner seemed to be also. It was tight with no play. The guy I got it from said the mechanic said it needed litters. I tried some seafoam along with a fresh oil change even thoug it was brand new oil went with 5w40 full syn and seems to have quieted down a bit. Gets quieter as it warms up. Also dosent do it as I hold gear to engine brake. Idk I just need it legal to drive right now. Lol if it's lifters I'll have them replaced. Heard this motors injectors are loud I'm just kinda confused lol... Another issue I'm having is a pesky parking break raising up slightly as I'm driving. I'm thinking the linkage is to tight??? Any idea's? Thanks for the reply..
Old 11-14-2013, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Okay so today I went to get my state inspections and on my way I thread cel p0333 which I was told is knock sensor 2. I have a horrible tick and I'm starting to think when the timing belt was replaced it was put back on off by a tooth. Idk enough about these cars to truely know.. plz help any one?? Come on guys 157 view and one response.. starting to think I can answer my own question and no I didn't get a good deal... Ugh Help plz???
Old 11-15-2013, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I would start with the knock sensor itself. See link below for the diagnostic which says to retorque the sensor first and then replace. Second two links gives location and torque specs.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...7/P0333/000819

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-needed-000819

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...or-rear-sensor

P.S. I would seriously minimize driving because it can damage the engine.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Could the knock sensor of caused the ticking with out throwing a cel till just now?? Or could the ticking cause the knock sensor to throw a cel? Wow I'm so confused... But thanks I'll che k it out.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So I'm Kinda becoming frustrated... Although I'm trying to be patient. So after some much needed research I have come to the conclusion that my engine is possibly shot due to the sludge issue that haunts us all. So with this being said I am considering a rebuild. I guess you could call that the silver lining in my story! The only down side is I need a car to get to work and my father wants his work car back.(not so silver lining) With that being said I have been down this road before with my older legacy which I loved and had to sell, Long story. I know that for the price of a standard rebuild I can get a much better engine if I can just figure out where to start. Is a Swap better? If so what engine? I have been looking around for a Audi or VW that has been totaled out in my area(St Louis) but seems to nothing as of the current moment. Would staying with the 1.8t be a better option as long as I tend to the car as it should be? I am very **** with my cars as I am sure most of you are. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Who would/what would you recommend? What is the best/Cheapest route? Come on guys Should I just sell it?(but I really love it) Kinda regretting my purchasing this car but shes so sexy.... Ugh Come on AudiWorld Help a fellow B6 lover out!!!