A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Keys? Ignition Key Holder Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keys? Ignition Key Holder Questions

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Tiptronic

So as of late i kept having an issue with my car upon startup or after trying to take the key out of the ignition. Problems were as followed:

Upon Startup: My key would not recognized and then startup would get blocked by immobilizer, usually would turn on 2nd attempt or definitely 3rd. This would happen sporadically but was happening more frequently as of late.

When trying to Take key out of the ignition: It seem like the key would not completely unlock the ignition so when i would take the key out the car would still have the "ding ding" sound (meaning car was still not locked with key in position) , or i wouldn't hear the click of the ignition releasing the key. I then could not lock my car with my remote, i would have to put my key back in the ignition and fiddle from the on position to off, until i heard the click or disengaging of the ignition key.

On a chance, i decided to use my valet key and have noticed that i dont have any of the issue i had been experiencing with my main key at all. One thing i did notice about my plastic valet key is that it seems to be alot sturdier (believe it or not) and it fits alot better in the ignition then my main metal key?

could the battery in my main key be causing some of the problems? i remember running a vag-com and seeing a key intermittent error code...but that probably still wouldnt account for the key not being as tight fitting as the valet key?

Just wanted to throw it out there and get some input from the knowledgeable people in this forum. Any suggestions you think i should look at? At first i thought it was my ignition switch or even maybe my locking column, but with me not having issues at all with my valet key, ive almost ruled that out?