A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

the Le Mans effect

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the Le Mans effect

Was anybody else influenced one way or the other by Audi's success in recent years at Le Mans?

I watch Le Mans, saw the Audi 1-2-3 finish live (on TV) a couple of years ago, and it was quite thrilling.

I never much remember liking, noticing, or wanting an Audi before. I drove the A4 on a whim, was about to throw down on an 02 GTi while waiting to get some big daddy kraut kar (M coupe, Carrera 4s, or now, maybe - S4!?). I'll always drive German cars (my year in the 91' Integra was due a divorce) but otherwise, I've been German powered my whole life- VW, Porsche, BMW.

Some of this make the A4 1.8t power performance even that much more regrettable. My salesguy mentioned Audi's performance orientation several times, but the proof is in the pudding!?

BTW the car is loosening up noticably (3300 miles). Still not a rev monster, but for sure revs easier than when it was newer. I'm getting nice power for "bustin moves" and so forth, but anytime I have to lay on the power for an extended burst, I feel sad.

Oh, well, I guess, Le Mans is an endurance race as well.
Old 02-14-2002, 09:15 AM

Default Re: the Le Mans effect

Well, yes and no. I was driving an Audi before their Le Mans success. Winning big races builds reputation for car manufacturers. As far as the '02 A4 is concerned, I feel kind of the same way. I love the ride, handling, comfort, feel and the quality build of the car, IMO it is a wonderful car, BUT a little more muscle would be great. This would definately make it a lot more fun to drive than it already is, which is plenty fun.
My $0.02
Old 02-14-2002, 09:33 AM
boz

Default Re: the Le Mans effect

Yep - been at Sebring last 2 years... can't ignore their performance there (12 hour, Le Mans and other races. Didn't hurt that the A4 looks good and drives real nice... so I got me one!
Old 02-14-2002, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Audi is riding the fence...

It has good technolgy and performance but it hasnt committed.

It punishes people for tuning, which I agree make sense to a point, but if they gave us better performance then less people would tune.

What do they expect? They add a couple of hundred pounds to the Anew 4 but give it the same 170hp 1.8T??? Either lighten the car or give us more HP. Hell I can buy a lighter GTI with 180hp for cheaper. Yes hp is not everything but they got the technolgy to give us more. Throw the 225hp TT engine in the A4, hell detune it to 210 like the S3 if they want. And people will still pay extra for the V6, Saab is a good example. 220hp from a V6 is different then a turbo car.

My point is if Audi wants to push itself as a performance car company with Le Mans and such they should try a little harder.

Jeff
A4 1.8T
Old 02-14-2002, 11:57 AM

Default unless badness happened, I have the 1-2-3 finish (last hour I think) recorded live cable -> DV

I'm very busy with work for the next two weeks, but I'll look into editing a little something together after that. I'm pretty sure I have the DV tape still.
Old 02-14-2002, 12:15 PM

Default the configuration of hp, options, etc... is all a balancing act for Audi. Countless variables are

considered into the final decision of what kind of power to give to each car. I am sure they have their reasons for their car configurations(prevent canibalization of their product lines, cut costs to drive up profits, demand, emissions, R & D) Just look, the 1.8T seems "underpowered" to many, but hey, people are still buying them regardless, so I would say that they've been successful.

If they put 210 hp on the 1.8T. what are you going to do about the 3.0? keep it at 220? No way, I doubt anyone would buy the 3.0 if that happend, especially if you can still chip the 1.8 to go way beyond the 3.0. if not, then 270 for the 3.0? then how much would the 3.0 cost? $42,000 or more? at 42K it would lose the value associated with buying an Audi in the first place. what about the S4 then....I don't know, just thinking I am sure they've thought these things through
Old 02-14-2002, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default First of all Audi basically lost my sale of a A4 Avant because of the 1.8T

bought a 325iT instead.

Chipping is pointless to me. Yes I have chipped my 1.8T but I dont want to have to. I want sufficient power from the factory and I dont want to worry about my warrenty. Yes it is not all about hp and 0-60 but I want it competitive with other manufactures.

As some posted a few days ago, Saab offers several engines with similiar HP ratings. Some are turbo and some NA. Some people like NA and its linear power so even with minimal differences in HP I think it can still sell. Turbo for the more sporty model , V6 for the more luxery model.

And I do think they need to raise the HP to offset the weight they keep adding to their cars. Nissian has no problem with 255hp at a decent price so it shouldnt cost more.

My 2 cents
jeff
Old 02-14-2002, 01:24 PM

Default As an owner of a Nissan and the new A4....

I'll have to disagree with you. I'll trade cars with my wife any day..she drives the A4, i get the Maxima. The A4 with its 170hp can still pull out from a light fast, but seriously. In all practicallity...you DON'T need 250hp in a family car. Nissan Maxima and Altima is going for the poor guys who want performance but must face reality and practicallity in their vehicle choice. The fit and finish of the Audi's are light years ahead of any Nissan. Nissan has one kick-*** V6 engine...and that's about it. It has questionable styling (though i like it), the maxima doesn't have independent rear suspension, it has torque steer up the ying-yang..... and yes...it does chew through gas. My first reaction is sure...the A4 needs more power. But when i'm driving it, i have the feeling that it has enough for what it's meant to do. It's an everyday car. Pulling onto the freeway, I don't notice that it's doing a 0-60 about 1 second slower than my maxima. If so many people are complaining about not enough power in their 1.8T...why don't you step up to the 3.0?!?!? And in seattle traffic, hehe...your 3.0 and my 1.8T will still go the same putt putt pace on the freeway so it DON'T MATTER!! HAHAHAHAHAH..
Old 02-15-2002, 06:31 AM

Default false advertising...hypocrites

OK, Audi at LeMans had nothing to do with my decision to buy my '01 A4 1.8T. The high build quality of the little saloon and ability thru the aftermarket to turn it into a performance car were the deciding factors.

Since my purchase AoA has become simply disgusting. While they sponsor racing cars and races and claim to be the sports wing of VW, their cars are inadequate out of the box and they have become preditory toward tuners and owners who tune in order to turn the car into what it should have been from the start.

S cars my ***. The RS comes close to being a performance car out of the box but they are not imported now are they? The nose heavy S cars all need lots of help to become performance cars. Lets face it the stock S4 should blow a WRX off the planet not be almost as quick. And an A4 1.8 with a carefully executed $3k in performance upgrades will take a stock S4 to the cleaners.

With VW offering W8 Passats, 180HP Golfs and so on Audi has become the bloated wing. If they want me to come back again they had better change - a lot. They could win the top 10 spots at LeMans. If their street cars dont kick *** it dont mean a thing. Their clientele arent NASCAR groupies.