A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Loud Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Exhaust System

Can anyone suggest a loud exhaust system for a new A4? With Dual Tips? 3" i.e. brullen look..
But thats pretty noticeably loud.

I'm thinking about making my custom cat back.. just the get two canisters with tips, then have the muffler shop run 3" mandarel bent piping, w/3" downpipe, no cat.. is that possible?
Old 03-06-2002, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why no cat ? Don't like to breath ? Turbo quiets exhaust to some degree,

want to remove that too ? ;-) Or are you supercharged ?

Do you want drone, or a good sound ? Get a high flow metal matrix cat and large cheap ( glasspack ) rear muffler for max noise.

You need a certain backpressure to get max torque. Granted, less pressure in a forced induction vs normally aspirated application, but still a little is best for power. Long intake runner makes torque, while a shorter one makes high rpm hp. Stay away from cone filters unless you want the sound and don't mind losing a few hp - hot engine air is less dense than outside air and thus makes less power. Go easy on the filter oil too as it destroys the MAF.
Old 03-06-2002, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Why no cat ? Don't like to breath ? Turbo quiets exhaust to some degree,

i'd like to get a nice deeper tone thats still a bit raspy on high end so it is very noticeable when the car accelerates. My main concern is maximum hp/torque gains.. so whatever will help that engine breate to its maxium potential i will go with that.

What type of a rear muffler would you suggest?
Piping should not be a problem or the down pipe.. get a nice flex pipe, and run that piping straight to the muffler cans.. as for the o2 sensors.. they can be mounted on the piping right.. as long as they read.
Old 03-07-2002, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For the 2hp gain you get from taking out the cats, I'd suggest being a good human, and leaving them

in. A weekend driving school will teach you to go faster than just removing the cats anyway. They aren't as restrictive as the old style versions anyway, and you'll make the planet a better place. The stock cats can handle the flow of up to 285hp without restriction.

Check with Supersprint. They make an awesome sounding exhaust on any car. I've heard it on a variety of different cars, and it always sounds great. The Abt rear exhaust ( coming soon ) is a little more stealthy than most Supersprint offerings, but offers the same power gains. For max noise, check with Supertrap - it will drone, but it's loud. You can remove or add plates as needed to play with power delivery and sound.