A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Manual transmission/clutch acting funny... Please advise!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual transmission/clutch acting funny... Please advise!!!

Hi,
I have a '05 Audi A4 3.0 V6 Quattro 6MT USP with 91K miles.
A few months ago I started experiencing a hard first gear engagement from a complete stop, I though I have worn synchronizers and I took it to the dealer and they said it is normal (not out of specs). Now with the cold Michigan weather my problem became more obvious especially in the morning. When I try to put the car into first gear or reverse I have to push the shifter forward and hold it a few seconds (when i do this i can feel the car moving just a little bit, 1/4inch) and then after I push a little harder it finally goes into gear. This issue improves a little bit when the gear oil warms up after about 10-15min of driving, at a complete stop it becomes easier to shift into first but not completely normal and the movement of the car while shifting almost disappears. I just changed the transmission oil with the OEM one from the dealer, the brake fluid level is not dropping, the clutch doesn't slip at all, I have no strange sounds coming from the clutch or transmission, no grinding, the pedal feel is good, the pedal is returning back after being depressed.
Next thing on my list is to bleed the clutch hydraulic system.

Please let me know what your thoughts are.
Thank you.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:09 PM
SCL
AudiWorld Member

It sounds like the clutch is either sticking or the pressure plate is not releasing all the way. If the clutch disc gets damp overnight it could cause this type of problem...but I think it's more likely that there is something wrong with the release. When the car is warm and you manage to get it into gear, does the clutch engage with the pedal close to the floor, or more towards the top? The pedal is self adjusting (at least in the audi models I've worked on)...so it should pretty much always release and engage towards the top. If you have to push the pedal to the floor to shift or to get it into first gear, then there is something wrong with the master/slave/hydraulic system. The fluid will absorb water...which might be causing bubbles in the fluid while you drive...then after the car cools down, the clutch pedal is out of adjustment. You could try pumping the pedal a few times before trying to put it into gear...if that helps, then I'd say the problem is somewhere in the hydraulic system. I think you're on the right track bleeding and/or changing the fluid.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you for your reply.
I am out of the country now but before I left I did a brake/clutch system flush at the dealer with little or no improvement. The clutch engages close to the top, when the car is rolling the shifting is good. I don't think there is anything wrong with my hydraulic system, I've tried the pumping method with no improvement. Sometimes I think there is some residual movement on the input shaft because when I try to shift into 1st gear or reverse on a flat surface from a stop I can feel/see the car moving but just a little bit 1-2mm.
Does anybody have any idea what clutch parts are covered (or not covered) by the the CPO WARRANTY? I want to pursue this issue with the dealer being positive my clutch is not slipping at all.
If my clutch is dragging because of a faulty release bearing/pilot bearing/pressure plate/flywheel etc... (good linings) what are my chances to get it fixed on my CPO???