A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

This may sound weird to some of you but....(race day report, long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This may sound weird to some of you but....(race day report, long)

Driving my car today on the edge, like walking a tight rope was better then sex !!!

Let's set this up. Mid 80s no A.C.(you know why)very sunny and hot in a closed car, you are sweating and you have to concentrate. Part of the road circuit goes through a small oval with concrete walls (you don't want to get on the marbles)your heartbeat is surely twice your normal pace as you travel within inches of this wall, as you exit this oval clock wise you are leaning heavily on the outside tires with your suspension compressed there is a bump in the road which wants to through you at the wall, you go down a small hill under a tunnel make a 90 degree right turn onto a drag strip, while in this turn you encounter two different types of surfaces which are uneven and full of burnt rubber and loose marbles and the G forces are pushing you towards the outside concrete wall, this in 3rd gear and accelerating so you are moving at a fair clip. Down the strip you go and if you took that previous turn properly and you did not scrub off too much speed, you are going to hit 180 kph (112 mph) in fourth gear before before hitting the brake very very hard to make a 90 degree right turn onto a 180 degree on camber turn and it goes on, WHAT A RUSH! From the initial practise runs in the morning to my best lap, I knocked off over 4 seconds. This car is so forgivable and easy to drive. It is also an absolute blast to drive. The Bilstein PSS 9 coilover was simply amazing, I started out on the softest setting, which I use on the road. After the first practise run it was decided to change the setting to the medium setting(#4) because under hard cornering in one turn there was a nice bump or dip which made the suspension loose control on the rebound. In the second run the problem was fixed, going through the same dip the car did not bounce around anymore and was rock steady. One thing I forgot to mention here and it is also related to this same dip and suspension setting. Today I ran with Kumho Victor 700 (225/45/17). Initial tire pressure cold was set at 46 psi front and 40 psi rear. After the first runs the tire pressures were taken, the fronts were at 52 psi and the rears at 46 psi, an increase of 6 psi. We noticed the right front sidewall had some rollover because of that dip in that turn(left turn) and perhaps because the tire pressure was too low at 52 psi and the suspension was too soft. Like I said before we cranked up the suspension and added 2 psi to the front tires, now at 54 psi! Well again the problem was solved, no more rollover on the sidewall. The other testing that I was interested in was the intercooler mister. I have some good and bad news. Please keep in mind that I have a dual intercooler set up and the temperatures on a regular A4 will be most likely higher then what I recorded. I took some notes on what the air intake temperature was in the first run, the peak temp I saw was just over 62 C or 141 F. In the second practise I used the mister throughout the run and the highest temp I saw was 39 C or 103 F. That's a drop of 23 C of 38 F which I think is very substantial. I could fell the engine pulling harder. These temp readouts were taken by the digital thermometer supplied with the mister kit which so far as been very accurate.In the next three runs(actual race) I did not use the mister and this is where the bad news comes in. The unit malfunctioned and would not spray anymore. I believe a wire from the relay to the pump must have broken under the race load. The electronic box still works, the pump still works the fuse is still ok but somehow the info from the box to the pump is not getting there. I guess some trouble shooting is in order. Until I do more testing on the race track you may take this report with a grain of salt but from the people I talked to that operate this unit my numbers are properly in the ball park. This concludes this report. Off to bed now, it as been a long day.
Man I'm still wired, I want to go back for more, this is more addictive then drugs.
Old 06-28-2003, 10:39 PM

Sounds like a blast!! Do you have dual intercoolers being sprayed? Or just one..
Old 06-29-2003, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Both.
Old 06-29-2003, 06:54 AM

Default Sir, you are B6 HERO!

I AutoXd my car once at Sebring and that left me wired like a crack addict, so on a smaller scale I know what you mean. Yes, this cars handling is great and yours must be even better with the suspension upgrgade. Granted, I haven't pushed the car as far as you have.
Congrats, you have taken this car further than anybody else I know of.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks, but I don't think HERO is how I would liked to be known. I'm just a regular guy trying ....

To have fun with the family car. It's the challenge of getting this family and heavy car around the track in reasonable times that I like.
BTW I'm far from been the best driver in our club. I'm sure in the hands of a good driver this car can most likely lap 2 seconds faster.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:27 AM

Default If you don't mind me asking...

From whom can I get the parts for the dual IC setup and how much? I may do this in the near future, just don't have info on it. TIA
Old 06-29-2003, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good read. Try using paragraphs sometime... good stuff!
Old 06-29-2003, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No problem, I ordered the kit from Greedspeed. He as an exclusive deal with Vag Parts in the UK ...

for the supply of the parts that make up the kit. The first ten clients got the kit for $600.00 as a promo. The price is/was going to get more expensive after the first ten orders. Check with Greedspeed and if you go to Vag Parts
web site I believe they have an explanation and pictures of the kit.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:41 AM

Thank you =)
Old 06-29-2003, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks, next time I will be more careful, but it was past midnight my time, I had been up .....

Since 05:00 and I did have a hard day.

If my english doesn't seem quite right at times, it's because I'm French Canadian and english is my second language and I'm not a very good writer.

Hope this use of paragraphs is up to your standards(GRIN).

Quick Reply: This may sound weird to some of you but....(race day report, long)