A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

My sister is buying a new 3.0 A4 and would like your opinion on the 16" wheels vs the 17".

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My sister is buying a new 3.0 A4 and would like your opinion on the 16" wheels vs the 17".

She's not interested in the sport package, so for the 3.0 A4 the two options are 215/55-16 and 235/45-17, both with all-season tires. The 17" wheels cost $500 more of course.

Here's what I told her:

Theoretical advantages of bigger wheels with lower profile and wider tires:
-more distinctive appearance
-improved "feel" of the road
-improved cornering
-better traction and shorter stopping distances on dry, wet, and icy roads due to larger contact patch

Theoretical disadvantages of bigger wheels with lower profile and wider tires:
-bumpier ride
-increased chance of pothole damage
-decreased traction in deep snow due to wider swath

Now, let me qualify all that by saying that I told her those things as general rules of thumb only, and I did clarify that she may not even notice a difference between the 16" and 17" wheels on the A4. But I told her that I wasn't exactly sure and that I would seek some additional insight here.

So please post your reasons for getting the 16" or 17" wheels and also how you like them now that you've driven on them for a while.

THANK YOU!!!
Old 03-21-2003, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default First, my opinion is she should drive the sport package. I didn't really feel any difference.

Second I agree with everything you said except I highly doubt she would notice any difference in road feel especially without the sport package. And these wheels are strong and heavy. I think with the 17" tires, as long as her tires are inflated properly, there is almost no way should could bend those wheels without hitting something so hard it damages more than just the wheel.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:47 AM

yup yup. what he said, just better.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for the replies guys. Anyone else? Input appreciated.

As I said, she's not interested in the sport package, partially because she doesn't want the high-performance summer tires. I have summer and winter tires/wheels for my S4, but I know she doesn't want to deal with the hassle and expense of having two sets so all-season tires are probably the way she's going to go. So the only issue really is whether there is any performance difference between the 16" and 17" wheels (assuming regular stock suspension). If not, then it just comes down to whether the cosmetic difference is worth $500 I guess.

By the way, did you say that you drove the A4 with sport package and couldn't tell a difference between the regular stock suspension? I thought I had heard good things about it, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:30 AM

Default So our input isn't good enough??

There is a huge difference between the two. The suspension is stiffer and the summer tires provide better turn in and cornering ability. If she drives in snow, the SP might not be a good idea since the car does sit quite a bit lower.

If you have decent weather most of the time, go for the sport suspension, you will probably regret it if you dont. Then get her some really good all seasons. Then you're done.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:31 AM

Default Appearance is worth an extra $Million

The stock wheels, and high wheel gap is very ugly. Very Ugly. It is worth having the 17 inc wheel upgrade with the sport package.
My .05$
Old 03-21-2003, 07:38 AM

Default You forgot a couple more disadvantages...

The 17's are softer and scratch easier, also tires for 17 inch rims are more expensive to replace than for 16 inch wheels. If you are going to forgo the sports package I think you should get the 16 inch wheels.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:49 AM

Default I think you covered it pretty well....

I bought the 17's w/o sport package. The extra 20 mm of tread width and stiffer sidewalls makes it handle great while still maintaining a very comfortable ride over rough roads. Firm but not jarring. Other than the looks, the sport package wasn't for me as 95% of my driving is either freeway or in city.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Since it sounds like she isn't intersted in performance, then she should go to 16's.

I have 16's on for winter, ride feel isn't any better than the 17's, so thats not a good arguement. If she doesn't mind the look of the 16's. Then she should save her money.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:11 AM

Don't forget resale value - Sport Package and 17's might be worth more

Quick Reply: My sister is buying a new 3.0 A4 and would like your opinion on the 16" wheels vs the 17".