A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Need help finding a GPS mount for a Magellan 4250

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I agree. Great installation. I have a Turbo gauge on the left center vent...

and I'm thinking I won't get any air control with another device obstructing the vent.

By the way, I guess I have to research on how to power the device as well with the ProClip installed.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I know. I'm glad to see you guys are still here, though.

Lots of things happening. Migrating to Canada in two months so I'm thinking of bringing the car with me as well.

You said you used to have the radio side mount. Was it easy to remove? Because I saw you had to peel the sticker to stick to the console.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 129 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Yep, easy to remove. I actually just took out the double-sided tape they had on there.

The pressure between the radio and the console was enough to keep it locked in place. Also, there is a edge that sticks out on the mount to grab onto the console groove.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default try the bracketron radio mount or the pro-clip center console mount.

I would prefer the bracketron because it connects to the radio and sticks out of the side. Pro-clip just clips/sticks onto the center console and I would be afraid of damaging it.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

why thank u kind sir
Old 03-19-2008, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default sorry, but I don't like this installation...

The idea of blocking vents and sending cold/warm air into the GPS, or not getting the air where I want it [towards myself], is not good IMO.
Secondly, forcing the top support arm into the space between the air vent and the dashboard... not nice.
I would say the best solution would be one that uses the existing card tray: when pulled out, use it as a support for an interface to the GPS mount/power connect. Make the card tray+support invisible by pushing it in. Using a mount, or even the supplied mount of some GPS units, you can position the unit above the vents, or far forward enough not to restrict air flow.
Also, I'd like to see a solution that is not permanent, meaning, you can remove the unit when not in use without any visible [mounts] elements left around the dashboard.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Couple of things; it does not block air flow, the vent behind unit is set so it shoots

the air around the unit. You could also close that vent if you really wanted to, but that is not necessary as mine is actually in front of the passenger side of the center vent. Also, the unit is actually pretty far from the vent so the air can definately get around it.

The gps unit can handle whatever heat/cold air is coming out of the vents.

Second, the part of the clip that goes in between the dash and the vent is actually extremely thin. All you have to do is spread that part a little with the supplied wedge to get the clip secured. Once the clip is in the part of the clip that is in-between the vent and dash is so thin that it can slide left or right. And there is barely any noticeable spreading between the vent and dash.

I agree with your comments about wanting the mount to be hidden, but unfortuntely that is very hard to do. As for using the card tray that would be cool, but not possible IMO. That thing is so small and the GPS mounts are too large to fabricate something to fit it.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default tray card fitting...

Actually, the standard Garmin/Nuvi base plate for the sucking mount would fit almost perfectly to the width/length of the tray. If, it's mounted on a base that fits inside the tray. That's how I'd like to have it. This way, you can simply remove the sucking mount completely, leave the base inside the tray, push it in...
Could be only me, but I don't normally use the GPS in the car. So any permanent, visible solution, it's not what I have in mind.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wouldn't be a bad idea

The part that would annoy me would be taking the suction cup mount off all the time. The only other thing I could see being bad about that is the GPS bouncing around a little.

The way mine is setup the pro-clip has two mounting points so the GPS never moves. The card tray is only one mounting point so when you hit bumps the GPS could move and possibly (probably not) fall off.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I checked the Bracketron website, but couldn't navigate properly like ProClip...

to find a mount for the Audi A4 and Magellan 4250 unit.

Do you have a link or model number I can look at. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Need help finding a GPS mount for a Magellan 4250