A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Need professional advice/tips for my new B6 1.8TQ project!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need professional advice/tips for my new B6 1.8TQ project!

Hi folks! I'm a new proud owner of a 2004 Audi A4 B6 1.8TQ. I've previously owned 2 240 s13s w/ built SR motors, so I'm not a nooby to mods & performance, but I am a total nooby to Audi as a whole. I understand that you need to maintain these things like babies, which I already do for all my vehicles I own so this won't be a problem. I've heard great things about the A4s and I feel I chose the right engine for the job, but I would like some feedback on that. I picked her up for 2 grand w/ 128k mi. and runs beautifully with no apparent leaks besides a very small water leak.

First, I would like to know if there's anything specific I need to keep an eye out for, or should look at now before a problem goes unnoticed and causes issues. I have the 6 spd tranny, but have heard the stock trannys tend to lock up/weld w/ too much power on launches? How does the AWD system compare to something such as an EVO/STI?

Second, I plan on producing around 400HP in the long run after I get to know her better and do my research. Any type of average list going around? Mandatory company/parts Audi enthusiasts encourage? I've been told to chip my ECU first, then go for major mods. If one could list the order of mods I should get first to last, that would be awesome.

Any help would be very much appreciated!
Old 03-20-2017, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I know I would not quantify as a professional, but am an engineer with a long history with the B6, so I'll give you my thoughts.

Originally Posted by UTPwniez
First, I would like to know if there's anything specific I need to keep an eye out for, or should look at now before a problem goes unnoticed and causes issues. Seems like as these cars age, the clogged drains in the cowl which lead to drowned ECUs is more common. And the timing belt. There are others, but I would put those at the topI have the 6 spd tranny, but have heard the stock trannys tend to lock up/weld w/ too much power on launches? You will need to upgrade the clutch and flywheel at some point which probably need to be done anyway based on the age of the car. I would get hold of an aftermarket company like APR or AWE and see what they recommend. How does the AWD system compare to something such as an EVO/STI? Very different systems. My understanding of the EVO and STI are they are effectively front drive cars until slip happens, then a center diff get into it and move the torque. You may be able to lock some of the later center diffs. Quattro is full time with torque always going to all 4 wheels, so there is no torque transfer. Slip is handled with braking action. Which one is better? I prefer the consistency of full time AWD. My son drives a TT which has a similar system to the EVO and STI and says you can notice the torque transfer which he never felt on his A4.

Second, I plan on producing around 400HP in the long run after I get to know her better and do my research. Any type of average list going around? That is way more than I would try to get out of the 1.8 simply for driveability and durability, but then I'm old. I opted for an S5 in my old age versus an RS5 or M3 for the same reasons. Again, get with APR or AWE. they have at least 3 stages, the last of which includes an update to the K04 and I think pushes about 325 hpMandatory company/parts Audi enthusiasts encourage? I've been told to chip my ECU first, then go for major mods. If one could list the order of mods I should get first to last, that would be awesome.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Last edited by lyleswk; 03-20-2017 at 05:53 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lyleswk
I know I would not quantify as a professional, but am an engineer with a long history with the B6, so I'll give you my thoughts.
Thanks so much for your reply! Very informative and exactly what I needed to hear. I'll look into the ECU flooding more, but I'll be getting my timing belt replaced while I get my new snub nose mount in. It's deteriorated to ****

I have a water leak that seems to be leaking both free on and antifreeze out of a cross looking plug beneath the block. Any idea what that may be?

Again, I appreciate the response!
Old 03-20-2017, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

"Cross looking plug beneath the block" is not a description I am aware of. Also, you mention freon and coolant. Both would not be leaking from the same place and freon typically just evaporates. Is the fluid pink and sweet smelling and where exactly is it dripping?

Here are the usually coolant leak check suspects:

1) Coolant flange: this is at the back of the engine passenger side and leaks down onto the transmission and onto the ground. Doesn't sound like this is the issue.
2) J-Plug: On the side of the engine drivers side under the intake and behind the thermostat. Again, look for pink residue from above as this usually doesn't leak enough to make drips. Maybe your issue after you answer the where a little more clearly?
3)Thermostat: behind the alternator. Maybe your issue?
Old 06-10-2017, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default ECS billet j-plug, 034 Motorsports front motor mounts

ECS and 034 have a good lineup of aftermarket parts! Also if you want 400hp then why not just stroke the motor...? (Have a look at this link!😌&#129305

IE Race Spec 1000HP 2.0L Stroker 1.8T 06A Short Block - Short Blocks - Assembled Race Engines - Performance Parts - TT 2000-2006 (MK1 - 8N) - TT - Audi