A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

new avant - report

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 04:12 PM
MP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new avant - report

Traded my 99.5 1.8t sedan for an 02 1.8t Avant on Friday afternoon - odometer on the new car read 15 miles. As I write this, the car has just < 500 miles. Here are my first impressions.

First, equipment. Car has a sunroof, Bose, 16" wheel upgrade, ski sack, convenience, heated seats, 5-spd.

I'm pleased to say that all the good stuff that has been said about this car is true. There are many subtle improvements and minor feature changes that make a big difference overall.

The 170hp engine is great - I notice a surge of power around 3k rpm that is much more pronounced than the old car. Also, the shifter feels like the throw is shorter although I may be simply getting used to the crisp action of the new car in comparison to my well-worn old car. The new larger fuel tank is great - I averaged about 25 mpg on the first tank (car was delivered with a full tank - not sure what brand/octane). Being able to count on a 400+ mile range is great for trips to VT/NH/Montreal from Boston, etc.

The new radio is great - it makes a lot of sense to integrate the interface graphically instead of with individual buttons for every function. Headlight and wiper controls are improved. Individual climate controls for driver and passenger are not new to Audi, but were not available in my last car - and are welcome. The 5 second syncronize function is clever (I would hate to keep adjusting both sets of controls when riding alone). The auto dimming mirror works very well. The new gauge cluster looks great, and I think I do appreciate the color contrast on the outer dials. The digital display is generally useful - I appreciate the mileage info (although its sample rate/display rate is too frequtent - it fluctuates too much and displays useless data, e.g., "67.2 mpg" when coasting on offramps). The drive timer is sort of statistically interesting for comparing actual drive times on routine distance trips. I could do without radio status in the gauge cluster (if it's critical to keep the driver's attention focused on the road ahead, surely the driver doesn't need to know about "CD 3, Track 7" when glancing at the gauges). I also like the new turn signal treatment: hold down the stalk for a second, and the signal automatically flashes three times - perfect for passing, lane changes, and rolling turns at intersections.

The new seats are a big improvement. The absence of a lumbar support on the last gen A4 was surprising - the powered lumbar is greatly appreciated on the new car. Plus, the more incremental fore/aft adjustment and better height adjustment are also great.

The new in-dash cupholder is perhaps a step in the wrong direction. It's overly articulated/mechanical design is intended to better accomadate different size cups, but I found that it has a tendency to "grab" the soft styrofoam in a Dunkin Donuts cup - which could lead to disaster. Also, after ordering a medium coffee in a large cup (and then going further and spilling some coffee out), I still managed to spill a small amount of coffee as I (carefully) exited the drive through... Had to pull over and clean up (not much, thankfully), and spill off yet more coffee. Yes, I had the lid on the cup... Anyway, I know how Germans feel about American automotive/culinary habits, but their protest in the form of overengineered yet inadequate cupholders is... disappointing. I think the solution lies in using a stainless mug with a deep lip on the lid and a small sipping aperture. I hope. And the cupholders in the armrest are marginally better than the former cupholders located under the armrest. Except I find it hard to drive a manual with the armrest in the down position... So maybe the old position was better, and the new insert that actually holds the drink is better. On a positive note, it looks like the rear passenger treatment will work out well (again, when using a good mug, with deep lip on a strong lid). The new car is noticeably tighter and stiffer, which doesn't exactly help where full beverage containers are concerned. I think that the icon on the dash-mounted cup holder, if taken literally, indicates that no cup should be placed in the cup holder more than half full - and you should use a straw.

Other good stuff: I like having a full size spare on a real wheel (very handy if you ever scuff a wheel - god forbid). The new integrated hanger points by the grab handles are great. The improved side panel storage arrangement is also better than in the past car. Also, the new ski sack arrangement is a bit better - with a seatbelt clip to keep the skis from shifting. The new ski sack material is also more pliable - useful in cold weather when you're probably using the sack. I actually use the ski sack all the time, so this makes a difference. Nice.

Regarding the sport/non sport decision. I passed on the chance to get an Atlas avant w/sport for a Dolphin w/16" wheels - and I'm glad I did. The new car is noticeably tighter/firmer than the old car, and everything that has been said about the new non-sport car being roughly equivalent to the old sport-equipped car is accurate. The new sport puts you in a somewhat harsh riding car. You might not mind if you live in So Cal, but here in New England, the 17" wheel option alone is an expensive proposition - blistered sidewalls and bent rims are a hazard with the 16" set up - even worse with 17" - no matter how you feel about the ride. Frost heaves are out of control after the crazy freeze/thaw cycles we've had this year - I wouldn't want to be bouncing and banging around in sport-equipped car en route to a day of skiing in Vermont. Can't fault anyone who buys the 17" six-spoke sport wheels - they look great - but I'm glad I went for the five-spoke 16" set up.

As for dolphin - it does match the lowers well, and gives the car a truly monochromatic look. I think the new model looks better in darker colors, although the Atlas option is really nice. With the Platinum interior (vs. Ebony) you can avoid seeing every crumb (not that I'm crumb-tolerant or anything like that). In any case, I will definitely spring for the all season mats this week - the platinum carpets are fine, but will get dirty quickly heading into the rainy season.

Exterior: the Avant gets looks. Several times upon returning to the car, I found people checking it out. About half the people I spoke with guessed that I have a baby on the way, and the other half guessed I needed room for gear. The latter were correct. The only regrets I had with my previous Audi purchase were on days when I had to make Costco/Home Depot runs, or when I would go skiing more than one friend. And forget about putting a bike in the trunk of the sedan without folding the seats. I have a Seven Axiom and an Independent Crown Jewel - they ride inside on long trips to avoid potential problems at rest areas, etc. For my purposes, the Avant is basically a mini-allroad, and even reminds me about what I liked about my old 89 Pathfinder - at least in terms of interior configuation (hatchback access, folding seats, etc.). I believe the sport wagon trend is just kicking in. Dealers I spoke with are still ordering 70 or 80% of new wagons in Tiptronic - which puts a premium on 5-spds. Fine with me. They don't seem to realize that these cars are not just grocery haulers (Audi USA needs to tell the dealers to wake up and pay attention to Lexus - which undoubtedly did focus groups up the yinyang before launching their wagon). Incidentally, there is a better selection of 6-spd 3.0s than 5-spd 1.8ts around here - I considered getting a 3.0(and dealers were more aggressive pricing them), but it's really not a well matched engine-transmission set up. The new engine is sweet - very ballsy. But the 6-spd makes driving it kind of boring. The perceived benefit of lower revs at cruising speed is irrelevant when the engine revs are so low and the first place. It will be interesting to see if the 6-spd becomes avail on the 1.8s - that could be interesting.

If you're looking for a new Avant in the Boston area, see Dennis at Rietzl - I think he's still got one 1.8 5-spd in stock (silver). This was the second time I purchased from Dennis, so he gets my vote of confidence. Deal was a straight $1500 over invoice - no other mystery fees, plus a very fair trade for my old car (side note - last purchase was via the dearly departed CarOrder.com with delivery at Rietzl). I prefer to buy and get service at an Audi/Porsche dealer than, say, an Audi/Honda dealer...

Overall, I'm completely happy with the new car, and the aesthetics of the 02 are continually growing on me - particularly the rear, which I initially didn't like. I think that the round rump on the old car looks a bit dated at this point, although the former model definitely presented one of the best overall designs at launch seen in the past 10 or more years. The new car is not so much an improvement in aesthetics as a refinement or an update - it's slightly more geometrical form is simply more contemporary. A few existing A4 owners cruised up next to me on the highway to check out the new car - a few gave me a thumbs up (pretty friendly for audi drivers - maybe AW readers?). I think that as time goes on, more people will come to accept the new design language.

Thanks again to everyone who posts here. I don't post much, but I've benefitted greatly from reading AW (and previously A4.org) with both of my A4 purchases.

To anyone on the fence regarding buying the new car - just do it.
Old 03-03-2002, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sweet...

Thanks for the post...I ordered an Avant several weeks ago similar to yours and am still waiting for it...I am in the Boston area too, so I can relate to your comments about the crappy roads, although I went ahead and got the sport. We'll see...Barb
Old 03-03-2002, 05:58 PM

Great post. Enjoy your car.
Old 03-03-2002, 06:23 PM

Default Re: sweet...

I am jealous. I ordered my Avant the beginning of Jan, and am still waiting ..
Because I did not want the sport package I was told the car may not arrive until April or May - how come there are cars w/o the sportpackage sitting on dealers lots?
Old 03-03-2002, 06:31 PM

Very nice write up, MP. Congrats on the new ride and let's see some pix.
Old 03-03-2002, 06:33 PM

Default Go check 'em out....

I think another AW'r ordered one, then saw another very close on the lot and got that one vs. the wait.
Old 03-03-2002, 08:26 PM

Default Re: awesome perspective

Soumds like a great car!! I drove one in Germany last summer and loved it. One complaint I had was the tight driver cockpit (center console is too wide) on long drives. I think I am going to buy the Avant, but the sedan looks so sweeeeeet where the avant seems have more similarity look to last years?
Old 03-04-2002, 04:59 AM
MP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: sweet...

good luck with your car - it will be worth the wait.
Old 03-04-2002, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Great report...

I should pick up mine next Saturaday. Although I live in an area of Ohio with nasty roads, my Avant will have the SS with those nice 17" rims. My main complaint with my present, non-sport Avant is that there is way too much listing in the corners.

I'm getting a sliver A4 and, ready to duck, having the tires switched to high performance all season Toyo's.

BTW my dealer (Fred Baker Audi) had a 3.0 Avant on the floor that touched 40k... the price variance between the 3.0 and the 1.8 simply precluded the 3's from consideration. And, as you said, the 1.8t is certainly a nice, proven power plant.

And as for image, I get positive feed back from young males and quizzical looks from my "colleagues" since I'm ...ah... a mature guy and not married.

Good luck with that new ride!
Old 03-04-2002, 07:27 AM

Default Just traded my 01 Avant for an 02 Avant....

Got a Dolphin 1.8t 5-speed with sport, xenon and cloth interior (looks great, I like it better than the letherette in my old car). $1200 over, not bad at all. Car rides great with sport package (I am in So. Cal.). Got it from Advantage in Loma Linda, great sales and service dept. in my opinion. I would have to agree with most of the points said by MP.

Quick Reply: new avant - report