A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Noobish mod questions (snub mount, REVO, MTM)...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noobish mod questions (snub mount, REVO, MTM)...

What is a snub mount? What does it do? What one do you recommend/price?

Revo..is it vaporware or will it be out for B6 1.8t (tiptronic)? I assume it will be better because it's software based and not hardware based so I wouldn't void warranty?? Need more torque (for faster 0-60) and passing power.

MTM, local dealer install perf. parts from them, do they make good products?

thanks
Old 05-16-2003, 08:10 AM

Default Some answers/opinions...

A snub mount is more or less a plunger at the front of the engine that keeps the engine from rocking when you mash or dump the gas pedal. Many people change out the stock one for aftermarket (Neuspeed, APR, etc), which are better quality and better fitting. APR and Neuspeed are about $50 each.

As for software, it can void your warranty just as easily as anything else. Since the software changes the parameters of your ECU, it can touch many components in the car. If a component goes out, like a turbo, tranny (tiptronic), pistons, or anything else that the dealer can prove was caused by your chip, it will not be covered under warranty. As for REVO, I have not heard much about them, but I don't think they are the recommended choice. Most people go with either GIAC, APR, or Neuspeed.

MTM makes good products, but they are very, very expensive compared to others out there. If you prefer them, then by all means. But if it doesn't matter so much, you can get a whole lot more for the money.

Hope this helps. Good luck
Old 05-16-2003, 08:18 AM

Default great explanation, can you....

post a pic or direct me to one of your car, I wanna check your tint out. I have 03 BB, ebony interior and thinking of tinting but I want to avoid the ghetto/gangsta look and thought it would be too dark on BB. I like tint on every B6 color except BB, I do like tint that reflects silver rather than dark black (if that makes sense).
Old 05-16-2003, 09:26 AM

Default Re: great explanation, can you....

Go ahead and check my Pic Poster for some tint pics. To get to it, click on the user acct ID# below the thread title. Then click on the Pic Poster, which will be the number of pics in the file. I don't have any in there that are full side views in the sun, but they will give you an idea. I have fully metallic 15% on the rear doors and window, and 35% on the front doors. Fully metallic is what gives you that "silver" look in the sun. I found that my front doors look more "silver" in the sun than my rears. I actually like the windows black rather than silver, so I am contemplating getting the front doors 15% as well. So, if you want the "silver" look, I would go lighter as opposed to darker.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You may want to hold on REVO until legal stuff is sorted out

with APR. If you go to the APR site, you'll see the legal documents APR has filed against REVO. In a nutshell, it seems that some APR employees stole some APR programming, quit, started their own company called REVO using some APR technology, and then set out to steal away APR dealers. This while having signed a non-competition clause while at APR. It will be interesting to hear what REVO responds with.

In any case, support MIGHT become questionable with REVO products if the lawsuit does not go their way.

MTM on the other hand is a German company and produces TUV approved products. They usually make the most extreme of the general consumer upgrades, but they work exactly as advertised. You rarely hear of any issues with the product other than expected wear and tear.

If you do a search for "chip" and "warranty" you'll find this discussed many many times in the past.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You say MTM is more expensive, I thought all chips came in around $500-600.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:15 AM

I was driving more toward the Co's products on the whole. But you're right. Most do come in at 500
Old 05-16-2003, 11:19 AM

Hey Michel, where in MTL did you get your MTM Chip, and how much?
Old 05-16-2003, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So in a nutshell Revo will always be 2 weeks behind APR.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:16 PM

Revo was already established in the UK before this APR contraversy

Quick Reply: Noobish mod questions (snub mount, REVO, MTM)...