A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

paging diagnosticator the continuing story

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paging diagnosticator the continuing story

the dealer reports my cylinders walls are egg shaped and thats why im burning oil. They believed that it was buring oil even when the head blew. One of the 1st things I learned when I worked on cars was check to make sure the repair is going to work! In trying to diagnose the problem over the 20 months, they did compression checks, leak tests etc. and they didn't find the problem. They didn't find this excentric of the cylder wall and they had the engine open 3 times! After a year and a half, they are now they're finding the block is the problem!

Then to replace the short block which I had resigned myself to, they quoted me $10,800, that would be $21,800 to replace the engine. I really fell I'm being screwed.

I am somewhat confused and angry... what say you?
Old 02-08-2007, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much oil are you burning? Sorry, haven't been following.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

now, 1quart every 250 miles...started 1qt/1000 after 1st repair
Old 02-08-2007, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa. I thought my 1 quart every 3.5-4.5K was bad. GL.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

it is, that's above avg for sure
Old 02-08-2007, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

tolerance, I've read, is 1qt/2k miles. since I got it back its never been there
Old 02-08-2007, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How does the dealer justify quoting you that amount? You can buy a complete new engine for less, ...

with thousands left over.
If they performed work prior, (three attempts before!) that did not correct the broken timing belt, then the high oil consumption, then it seems to me that they owe you, at this point.

If you where told before that the work would fix the engine, and it was not repaired satisfactorily, doesn't the dealership guarantee or warranty their work?

It doesn't make sense that the dealer would have advised you to authorize repairs that they did not believe would fix problem, right?
Therefore, it would be on their advise the earlier repair work was authorized by you.
I believe that the dealership should be liable for unsuccessful work, and the short block should be installed without further labor cost to you. Further, you should demand that the cost of the short block be split 50/50, with no additional labor charges owed by you. You have already paid excessive labor charges for unsuccessful repairs done based on the premis that those repairs were appropriate and necessary to correct the excessive oil consumption. The dealer owes you a properly repaired engine. You have already paid the dealership for the work. It is on the dealer to perform accordingly by providing the repairs to correct the problems.
Alternatively, refuse the current estimate quote and have the work done by an Audi indie shop, then take the dealer to small claims court to recover the cost of the indie repairs by an outside shop.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'm smoking mad... livid!!!!! (long rant!)

I am so mad I do not even know what to do! Also, based on this "news," I'm not sure the dealer has been playing straight with me. I have a hard time believing the cylinders are eccentric and there is still compression. The car had new car compression and leak down numbers. If I had known the block was this bad I might not have chosen this course.

I have erased a long rant and instead chosen to say this: I want my car fixed, I don't want another car but if it can't be fixed then, I want an equivalent, not better, certified used car. If that can't be done, I'll get my car fixed elsewhere and I reluctantly will have my lawyer handle the rest.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I am sure your are! Just try and retain your perspective, and avoid blowing a gasket ....

because of this frustrating experience. I am confident that everything will be handled appropriately.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default You are right, shouting and calling people names...

is not the way to negotiate. In defense of my dealer, I am sure they want to do the right thing but their perspective is different than mine. As a construction engineer, I have negotiated over claims and change orders and while it was not my money, it was still a lot of money that I was charged to keep safe. What I learned there was always to be civil and so I will be here. What I will do is clearly stated (here and to the dealer)and also, as I have stated, I am not trying to take advantage of them; all I want is my car fixed, I am willing to pay some amount (not $12K). Short of that, I will take an equivalent car and as a last, the very last resort, I will get my lawyer involved. I would hate to do that but I will if I must.