A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Power steering noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering noise

I have a 2002 3.0 Quattro, the power steering pump when out a couple months ago so it was replaced, a month or so after a new pump was put in the car started making the whining noise whenever I would take a turn at low speeds. I flushed out the fluid that was in there thinking there could've been air bubbles or incorrect fluid, that didn't fix the problem. So I took it back to the shop that put in the pump and they put another brand new pump in the car. It fixed the noise for a little bit but now it's making the whining noise again. 2 new pumps, flushed with correct Chf-11s fluid and its still making noise? What else could it be? Any information would be appriecated!
Old 12-20-2017, 01:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Hunter
I have a 2002 3.0 Quattro, the power steering pump when out a couple months ago so it was replaced, a month or so after a new pump was put in the car started making the whining noise whenever I would take a turn at low speeds. I flushed out the fluid that was in there thinking there could've been air bubbles or incorrect fluid, that didn't fix the problem. So I took it back to the shop that put in the pump and they put another brand new pump in the car. It fixed the noise for a little bit but now it's making the whining noise again. 2 new pumps, flushed with correct Chf-11s fluid and its still making noise? What else could it be? Any information would be appriecated!
You should replace oil reservoir as well, as it has built-in oil filter which could clogged
Old 09-03-2019, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have had this air problem in power steering for months and finally after exhausting all of the fix recommendations I finally found a post that solved

my problem. Turns out there is a screen/filter in the bottom of the power steering tank that through **** poor engineering can dislocate causing much turmoil in the fluid in the tank and the air is being made right in the tank. Kind of like a frothing process. Easy way to see if your screen has dislocated is to remove the cap while running and if there is a geyser like action in tank it has come off. I removed tank and after 20 minutes or so I finally got it locked back in place and replaced the tank. Problem solved. Now this screen is installed before the top half of tank is assembles so the screen is larger than the fill cap hole so get ready to spend some time fishing tools down the hole to get it back in place. It probably would have been easier to just buy a new tank but I am cheap so I took the hard route. I was just getting ready to buy a new pump so I am really glad I found the post from another person about this fix. I wonder how many racks and pumps have been replaced because of this assinine issue that Audi could fix just by plastiwelding this screen in place.
The following users liked this post:
Nimbus4 (09-07-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts

There's also the short rubber hose that connects to the pump's inlet port. Those get dry and leak, letting in air. The thing is, on the 3.0 the pump is higher than the reservoir, so even if there is a leak, air will get in but not so likely that PS fluid will come out. The hose was about $17 from Amazon or similar when I bought it a couple of years ago. Rein brand I believe, included factory-type crimp clamps.
The following users liked this post:
Nimbus4 (09-07-2019)