A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Random question about airhorns, any police on here?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random question about airhorns, any police on here?

I've had a Whelen Electronic Airhorn on my car for some time, and I was wondering if its legal. I mean, I know it technically is legal because it's not a siren, but lately I've caught some slack about it. Primarily I'm concerned with New York State, but I'm sure its not too different elsewhere. Any ideas? If you're wondering, this sounds like the horn a police car or ambulance produces, but there is no siren tone. Literally, just a horn (attached to a little button on my dash).

I'm a medic in upstate new york, and as such i'm authorized for flashing green lights on my car to respond to medical emergencies, which I have. I was told recently that I cannot use the airhorn in that kind of situation (we're not allowed SIREN tones), and that "the airhorn is illegal." However, not a reliable source telling me this, so I'd like some reliable info!
Old 12-22-2003, 08:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is a regular car horn illegal? I think your answer lies within that question.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:09 PM

but the trouble is this sound could possibly be construed as an emergency vehicle
Old 12-22-2003, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default a regular exhaust is legal

yet an aftermarket one can not be..

That is bad logic
Old 12-23-2003, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's a pretty unlikely scenario that you'd get caught...

You're driving to an emergency with your medic lights on and you use the horn. What is a cop gonna do, pull you over, hear that you're going to the emergency, and keep you there while someone dies and he writes a ticket? This is the litigation nation. Major lawsuit. LOL.

BTW...for a while in FL (I don't know if it's still allowed), medics were allowed to have blue lights. My father put one in his car for driving to the hospital for emergencies, and he stopped using it because people would get confused. They wouldn't know how to react. It was a rotary flashing dome light that you plug into the cigarette lighter. You can stick on the top of the car or on the dash. Is this what you have? What kinds of reacitons do you see?
Old 12-23-2003, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Best bet is call police and ask them directly but

call one in an area not real close to you. Some cops a dicks and some are great with questions like that I have had both. They will just give a order to remove it. I was a local FD and we could not run them on our personal cars even with lights on and FD plates. But every one did anyway. Depends on what the cops are going after , They are more likly to give kids a hard time about little things, then someone like self the is helping the community. I say run them until someone with authority tells you different
Old 12-23-2003, 10:00 AM

Default sort of...

only mine is green and white, and its an LED strobe bar that i've mounted permanently in my car, with a switch. people always move out of the way, it works well...

also, i know in that situation a cop probably won't bother, its my chief i'm worried about... he'll just suspend me
Old 12-23-2003, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default i think its illegal in NYS to have an airhorn installed on any vehicle other then one designated for

emergency use only (policecar, firetruck, ambulance) even your LED lightbar is illegal because your only allowed one rotating or blinking light by state law, but im sure your not going to be bother about that, the airhorn is another story, i would run it by your ambulance chief and the local police before you use it anymore.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

How would he find out?
Old 12-23-2003, 05:38 PM

well, its a small town, and everyone knows him, if he didn't hear me someone might report it

Quick Reply: Random question about airhorns, any police on here?