A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Replace parts or just swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace parts or just swap

Wassup everyone . I recently purchased a a4 1.8t b6 bought it for 1600 $$$.. now she runs good but mechanic told me timing belt , cam chain tensioner , tune up , and bunch of other stuff , now the car has 164xxx w car fax etc well taken care off . NOW here the good part .. should I invest in this little beast , or pass . Is it worth buying an engine with low miles and knowing I'm going to have a longer life span for the bucks going into this car or just replace everything witch would probably bundle me a high tab to pay , , any idea would be great , I'm 60 percent mechanically incline too lol , please I'm new to Audi game and just curious if I got beat lol
Old 06-24-2017, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's a few miles but ultimately it's going to be your call as to the car's integrity and whether you want to keep it up. If the timing belt has never been done then yes for sure it is due or risk losing your block &/or heads. My take is not to buy a car more than 100Kmi unless to flip. I paid 2800 for an 84Kmi A4 3.0 Quattro ultrasport in excellent shape and am rebuilding it. You will be dealing with old hoses, possible worn suspension and drivetrain so inspect carefully if it is in good shape. If it's all good, runs well, good compression, start with changing all the fluids, brake, trans, pwr str, coolant, etc. and timing belt then progress as needed. I recommend doing as much work as much work as you feel confident with to save your $$$. New engine is a gamble, never know what that car went through to donate it's engine so if you want to be sure you'd have to take it apart to inspect it.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Depends on whether you can do a lot of the labor yourself. If you're paying a mechanic, and you're new to the car, then the potential for an explosion in your billfold is very high. Too many miles. You could easily sink 6 or 7 thousand or more and the car would hiccup slightly and say "that's fine for now, see you next month." You can buy these cars for <3k with 100k miles, complete documentation, garage kept, 1st or 2nd owner, but you might have to look for 3 months because you'll have to plow through cars like the one you just bought.

I'd say now that you own it​​​​, inspect the timing belt (it's certainly been changed once, or it would have broken by now), do what the other poster said re hoses etc, and enjoy the car. First time a big expense comes up, dump it.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The timing belt and all that listed is normal maintenance for the Audi. Another car/engine will put you in the same spot. The audi is a technical car for rich folks who can afford the mechanic's bills or the diyer who is willing to work on the cars themselves.

timing belt kits, specialty tool rental and videos are available at Blauparts, but you need a place to work on your car...hopefully with at least a shade tree😉.

btw..as added incentive..you can get ****loads of power out of those 1.8 engines.

I purposely have the 3.slow ( hp dead end car) because I already have another hp money hog and don't want to tempted by owning another...

Last edited by shurur2; 06-26-2017 at 10:43 AM.