A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Strange Incident.. NJ Traffic Ticket.... Advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 05:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Incident.. NJ Traffic Ticket.... Advice needed.

One of my co-workers just told me about a traffic ticket she was issues that sounds kind of strange:

She was driving to work and noticed a police car following her for about 2 miles. He finally pulls her over and tells her she went through a red light 4 traffic lights back (she doesn't think she went through a red light). He asks if she owns the car, she says she does then the cop drives off. The cop never got out of his car, just rolled down his passenger window. This happened on Friday.

This morning, the cop shows up at her house to deliver the ticket. When he pulled her over, he never got out of his car, never asked to see license, registration, proof of insurance.

The whole incident sounds strange. Isn't this improper procedure? What do you guys think she should do?

Joe M.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Expert

court... very strange... lets see what ticketproof says
Old 08-30-2004, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like a stalker cop. I'd consult an attorney.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

very strange. sounds very stalker life. call the station and file a complaint
Old 08-30-2004, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Definitely tell her to get a lawyer and fight it. The cops are required to ....

1. Tell you what you did wrong.
2. Explain the fine.
3. Confirm a court date should you plead not guilty.

I think there's also a certain timeframe within which you have to be cited after you commit a violation. (I was once told it was 15 minutes, but I can't be sure) Besides that, if she didn't show her license, how could he possibly be sure it was her actually driving the car, and not a friend, husband, kid, etc.

Sounds to me like a pretty easy one to beat, unless there's something she's leaving out.

Keep up posted, I'm curious. Where in NJ was it anyway?
Old 08-30-2004, 07:37 AM

Default If she never signed anything he has no proof it was her driving the car. Fight it in court. (m)

State laws differ but and officer has to have proof that the person driving was the person who received the citation. This is why you have to sign a ticket "This is not an admission of guilt, but by signing this you agree that you understand what you're being cited for... ect ect ect."

One problem she might have is if she signed the ticket when he delivered it later on, she was agreeing that she was the one pulled over and knew what she was being cited for. Hopefully she dated her signature because you could show that in court and say "The citation date is _____ and her signature is the next day on ______"

Also, if your friend is attractive, this officer might have been trying to pick up on her so he ran her plate, got her info and cruised by her house. I'm all for law enforcement but I have seen fellow officers pull women over because they were attractive, although they usually don't get a ticket.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

In Jersey, they don't make you sign tickets. But all tickets always have the driver's info on them.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:43 AM

Default sounds kinda right, but then again, i've experienced different....

admittedly it was in a little town in rockland county, ny (which is somewhat notorious around here at least for shady police practices) but i was told when pulled voer to mail in the ticket and i would be told what the fine was after pleading guilty. the cop left before i could ask him a question. then the court clerk actually hung up on me when i called to find out what local procedure was. so i showed up for my court date, and the cop isn't there. one of the other cops tells me that he'll negotiate a deal or they'll call the other guy off the road and i'll get screwed. at this point, i mention that i never received the written deposition i requested- the cop repleis that if i want to make a stink about it, fine, but they'll throw out htis ticket, call the cop off the road, and he'll write me a new ticket for the same body of evidence. they can do this up to a year after the stop, according to this cop.

in the end, the deal they offered was to cut 89 in 55 down to 60 in 55, so rather than fight with their crooked hick asses, i took the deal and left.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Always deal with the prosecutor AND the cop, never just the cop alone.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:15 AM

Default this town didn't have a prosecutor....just the state troopers

like i said, it was a really small town. and did i mention that court was held on a monday evening? wtf is that?

Quick Reply: Strange Incident.. NJ Traffic Ticket.... Advice needed.