A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

For those who have had ALL ignition coils replaced, how did you do it? I called AoA ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those who have had ALL ignition coils replaced, how did you do it? I called AoA ...

they told me they will only replace the coil that failed. My response is simple: they can either buy the car back -or- they can replace all six. I realize they are trying to get everyone back on the road as quickly as possible ...but I cannot live with a $36K vehicle that will break down SIX times (as I'm sure each coil will fail over time). They haven't gotten back to me yet with what they plan to do - but I sure hope they replace all coils. I was just curious as to how some of you were able to persuade the dealer into replacing all of them? As always, thanks for the feedback!!
Old 12-09-2002, 05:06 PM

Default They need to be considerate of everyone with a failure...

Hey... **** happens. Part defects can pop up in manufacturing that aren't noticed until the product has been out for a long time. This is what's happening with the coil packs. Everyone wants them to fix the problem immediately, but the fact is they couldn't fix a problem that they didn't understand. Once they understood the problem, they modified the part, and began producing them. Until supply can catch up with demand, there is a shortage of updated coil packs. There are cars waiting for weeks to get a replacement coil pack. Do you understand what would happen if they replaced all coil packs from cars that came in right now? Your car would be sitting for months. I think that they are doing the right thing. I trust that once supply catches up, they will issue a recall, and replace all coil packs that are from the defective pool. I'd much rather have a car whose biggest problem is a defective part like a coil pack. It sure beats an underdeveloped engine, transmission, suspension, etc. Coil packs are easy to replace, and when the defective part is gone, so is they problem. On the other hand, a bad transmission (etc) can affect a car forever, and affects the long term resale value of a model.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:20 PM

Had 2 coil packs go and the dealer readily agreed to replace all 4, this was before the big rush
Old 12-09-2002, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I had 2 go bad ~a week apart. Dealer replaced all 4. That was back in July before the Tsunami.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:51 PM

Default but...

My dealer was not willing to replace the other three even after supply caught up with demand...that was what infuriated me about the whole thing. I (sort of) understand that Audi wants to get as many cars back on the road as possible, but to not be willing to permanently fix the problem as soon as they can is unacceptable.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:34 PM

Default Re: They need to be considerate of everyone with a failure...

I was told tonight by the AoA customer rep that it isn't the ignition coils that are bad, but they were installed incorrectly. What!!?? So why come out with a different model coil I asked. hmmm... no answer. I've had 2 go with 2 more to go, and they refuse to replace all remaining coils with the J model. That's fine, they can buy the car back or when the third one goes, it qualifies as a lemon in my state.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:00 PM

Default Chris, you asked the right question in response to their BS. Would you please fill out our survey ..

IGNITION COIL (coilpack) FAILURE SURVEY:

Just copy this survey, paste it into a new message box, and then,
place your cursor into each appropriate field and type in your response.

For instance, if this is your 2nd coil failure, your response to (5) might look like this:
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................
EXAMPLE: (5) 1st __ B ___ 2nd __ C ___ 3rd _____ 4th _____ WEATHER ... Was the weather:

A ... Hot
B ... Mild
C ... Cold - Above Freezing
D ... Cold - Below Freezing
5a .. Do you have any other comments regarding the weather (snow, rain, sleet, etc):

_____2nd failure on a miserable day - Raining Hard - 39 degrees - Remote road - Out of cell phone range _____
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................

SURVEY:

(1) CAR ... Describe your car:

Car _______ Model ______ Year _______ Engine type _______Auto/Manual _______ FWD/AWD _______

(2) _____ NUMBER OF FAILURES ... Is this survey for your:

A ... 1st. Coil failure

B ... 2nd. Coil failure

C ... 3rd. Coil failure

D ... 4th. Coil failure

(3) 1st _____ 2nd _____ 3rd _____ 4th _____ EXPERIENCE ... Other than shaking, vibration, rough idle, and flashing
engine warning light did you experience:

A ... Minor loss of power

B ... Moderate loss of power

C ... Major loss of power

D ... Total loss of power

E ... Didn't try to drive it

3a .. Do you have any other comments regarding the symptoms you experienced:

(4) 1st _____ 2nd _____ 3rd _____ 4th _____ WHEN FIRST NOTICED ... Did you first notice the problem:

A ... Upon starting your car

B ... After starting your car but before driving away

C ... Within 5 minutes of starting your car and driving away

D ... On the road - Inconvenience but not hazardous

E ... On the road - Hazardous situation - Traffic

F ... On the road - Hazardous situation - Weather

G ... On the road - Hazardous situation - Bad place to be stranded

4a .. Do you have any additional comments regarding the above:

(5) 1st _____ 2nd _____ 3rd _____ 4th _____ WEATHER ... Was the weather:

A ... Hot

B ... Mild

C ... Cold - Above Freezing

D ... Cold - Below Freezing

5a .. Do you have any other comments regarding the weather (snow, rain, sleet, etc):

(6) 1st _____ 2nd _____ 3rd _____ 4th _____ AFTER THE FAILURE OCCURRED ... Once you noticed this problem
with your car what did you do:

A ... Turned off the ignition ... Had it flatbedded to the dealer

B ... Pulled to the side of the road ... had it flatbedded to the dealer

C ... Drove to a safe parking spot ... Had it flatbedded to the dealer

D ... Drove until you felt you were a traffic hazard and concerned for your safety ... Have it flatbedded to the dealer

E ... Drove until additional symptoms made you too concerned to drive further ... Had it flatbedded to the dealer

F ... Drove home ... Had it flatbedded to the dealer

G ... Drove directly to the dealer

6a .. Any other comments regarding the above:

(7) _____ DRIVING STYLE ... Is your driving style typically:

A ... Gentle

B ... Moderate

C ... Moderate and sometimes aggressive

D ... Aggressive and sometimes moderate

E ... Aggressive

(8) 1st _____ 2nd _____ 3rd _____ 4th _____ DEALER ACTION ... What did your dealer do when the car was brought in:

A ... Had the car repaired and ready within one working day.

B ... It's fixed now but parts weren't then available. Dealer provided a loaner 'till the parts came in.

C ... It's fixed now but parts weren't then available. Had to arrange for my own transportation 'till the parts came in.

D ... Still waiting for parts - Dealer provided a car to drive.

E ... Still waiting for parts - Having to provide for my own transportation.

8a .. Additional comments regarding the above:

(9) 1st _____ 2nd _____ 3rd _____ 4th _____ COIL REPLACEMENT ... If your engine is a 1.8T, Did the dealer replace
your coil with a revision J coil (Part # 06B-905-115-J):

A ... Yes

B ... No

C ... Don't know

D ... Not Applicable

(10) 1st _____ 2nd _____ 3rd _____ 4th _____ 'ALL' COIL REPLACEMENT ... Did the dealer replace 'all' your coils with
the latest revision ignition coils?:

A ... Yes

B ... No

C ... Don't know

(11) - LOCATION ... Geographically, where did the failure occur (Closest major city and State or Province):

1st _______________________________________

2nd _______________________________________

3rd _______________________________________

4th _______________________________________

(12) - MILEAGE ... What was the mileage on your car when your coil failure occurred.

(13) - WHEN ... In what 'month' and 'year' did this failure occur:

(14) - CAR BUILD DATE ... When was your car built (month/year) ... (Look inside your driver door pillar for build date).
Write the date or write, "Don't know".

(15 ______ FOLLOW-UP ... Will you be providing follow-up answers to any questions where "don't know" was your answer
on this survey:

A ... Yes

B ... No

(16) - SURVEYS ... Place an 'X' for each coil failure you've completed a Survey or questionnaire (including this one):

1st _____ 2nd _____ 3rd _____ 4th _____

Add any comments below that you feel might be pertinent:

You can do even more by using the following:

Here's the AudiTalk email address:

auditalk@audi.com

Here's the NHTSA link:
Old 12-10-2002, 12:29 AM

Default I lived in England.... they did it without asking and gave us a pleasent surprise in the form of

the parts sheet.
Old 12-10-2002, 03:24 AM

If they are just simply installed incorrectly, then where is the recall 2 have the dealer reinstall?
Old 12-10-2002, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I agree with you ...but this vehicle is "brand new" and I'm supposed to just keep driving (m)

and wait for the remaining coils to fail...? According to AoA ...the answer is: yes.

Quick Reply: For those who have had ALL ignition coils replaced, how did you do it? I called AoA ...