A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

VAG mods..Please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VAG mods..Please help

Just talked to two delaers here in Dallas about windows up/down with remote mod. One of them said it is physically impossible to do on 2002 .
After 20 minutes they admitted that it can be done but I am going to have all kinds of electrical problems. They showed me a TT with that mod done and it's alarm LED in the door panel stopped flashing. The other dealer can do if I provide my own codes at cost of $45 and also mentioned electrical problems. Do any of you guys with the mod have those problems on '02 A4? What is the alternative to a dealer? will VW tool work on Audis?
Old 03-29-2002, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: VAG mods..Please help

You will not ahve "all kinds of elecrical problems" what BS, you're not PHYSICALLY modifying anything,and you are not recoding anything permanantly. You need to know what you intend to do though. There is a seperate code for turning off the door LED, the owner of that TT probably inadvertantly turned it off and then complained to the dealer, setting up a false perception of unwanted side-effects from recoding.

That or THEY turned it off themselves before showing it to you, and then used it as "proof" of why it's bad (then 5 minutes later they took :30 to code it back).

Nobody is "hacking" into the module and resetting code on a binary level, the coding changes that people are doing are all pre-existing and put there by Audi engineers.

Just find someone near you that has a copy of VAG-COM, or better yet, buy yourself a copy. The dealer wants $45? Thats 1/4 the price of buying VAG-Com for yourself, in which case you will have it forever and change things as often as you want (not to mention being able to diagnose your cars condition at any time and even allow you to do some maintenance you would ordinarily have to pay the dealer for).
Old 03-29-2002, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: VAG mods..Please help

They keep telling me that windows mods are not approved by Audi. Both of the dealers stated that people had problems with those codes. I am sure they didn't calculate the codes right. I guess I just need to figure the exact code myself and have them program it. I have a friend at VW dealership and I was wondering if VW's VAg will work on Audi.
Old 03-29-2002, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Do what I did. Show them the codes...

I showed my dealer the codes. They were already aware of the ones I wanted done (including the windows mod). The did the mod and it all works. No problems. Period.

Below is the link to the codes. People have been using these codes for over 4 months without any complications. You're getting smoked by your dealer.<ul><li><a href="http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/audiB6.html">http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/audiB6.html</a></li></ul>
Old 03-29-2002, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The problem is they are not appoved by Audi of AMERICA...

They have all kinds of legal issues with giving us more control over the functions of our own vehicles. They are worried more about "product liability". It is the engineers at Audi AG that programmed the functionality in the first place. I've never heard of any european customers having problems getting things recoded.

The codes for Audi's are specific to the year and model, but the tool your friend has at the VW dealer will work just fine, it's the same tool for all VW/Audi models. You just need to get him the codes for exactly what functionality you want to add/change.
Old 03-29-2002, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Do what I did. Show them the codes...

These are the ones I printed out for them. Did you guys get charged extra to get it done? I am doing doors (approved mod) and windows ("pirate code"). And they said it'll be half an hour of labor ($45).
Old 03-29-2002, 12:07 PM

Default just did it with vag...

don't listen to the dealer looking to make a buck off of it. the only problem i have heard about and i am having myself is with the sunroof. it will close when it is left open after shutting the car off but when i try it with the remote or key in the door it doesn't open. i think someone else had the problem if they could let me know the solution. (value in ch. 62 is at 255) and everything else works great.
Old 03-29-2002, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I got them done for free. =)

They only mentioned in discussion about their concern about some of the codes, but that they also have some "approved" codes they can use. I told them that if they felt that those codes posed any danger to my A4, then only apply the "approved" codes. When the service was done, the doors and windows were activated.

I agree that this is not changing the software or altering anything to operate outside of the original designs of the car. The Audi engineers wrote the software with these features. It is AoA (or someone) who is deciding which ones to leave active and which ones to deactivate. Gee... first the US is denied the options that are available elsewhere when getting an A4. Now we find out that there are additional features that the car can do that they don't want us to know about! What's up with that???
Old 03-29-2002, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts
Default You can also code the A/C to do certain things for different countries...

The Japan code allows the A/C recirculation mode to say on after the car it shut off and then restarted. The US code turns off the recirc and keeps it off when the car is shut off and restarted...one must hit the recirc again to turn it on.

The Australian and Saudi Arabia codes indicate that they inncrease the cooling perfromance of the A/C....I sure would like to know what this means as I always feel the A4 A/C is weak!