A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Water coming in at rear passenger head liner

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water coming in at rear passenger head liner

I've searched and found similar posts to this but not for a B6 model. It rained for a good part of the day yesterday and when I got in my car I noticed the rear passenger corner of my headliner was soaked and dripping water onto the rear headrest. When I got home I took some water and poured all over the sunroof and roof and water seems to be drainng fine out of my back bumper which is where the drain runs to so I've heard. I also dumped two big cups and didn't notice any more water coming through. Could it be my sunroof was cracked open a bit or does that even matter? I've got the possessed sunroof that I haven't fixed yet so it's possible it was cracked a tiny bit, no water around my sunroof inside though, just the right rear corner and down my c-pillar. Any one had this issue in a B6 that was able to fix it? I don't want to just start tearing the car apart just yet.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after no luck searching online I decided to take a crack at this and I'm glad I did. This was a very easy fix, took me 2-3 hours tops from start to finish. If you are experiencing water coming in either back driver or passenger side corner at the headliner don't take it in just yet!

I popped the trim out that goes along the back windshield and the rear c-pillar. You will need to take off the ceiling handle in order to do this. When you get to the piece between the front and rear doors you need to pop off the little plastic piece that says airbag on it, there is a screw behind it. I went ahead and took off the front visor and front trim in order to loosen up the headliner enough to get to the drain lines. At this point you should be able to pull the headliner down enough to see what your doing without actually taking the headliner out. You should see a bronze colored rubber hose right under the headliner towards the back of the car which runs towards the sunroof and then back out the bottom of the car, the line actually empties the water right in front of the back tires. The hose connects into a white plastic reservoir, this is where the leak is happening. To confirm I opened my sunroof and poured water directly into the drain, water was coming out fine under my car but there was a slow drip forming where the hose hooked into the plastic reservoir. I put a good amount of silicone around it, let it dry over night and poured a ton of water in the next day and no leak! I've heard these lines can become clogged so to confirm mine weren't I took a measuring cup and measured out some water and put a container under the car where the water comes out. I poured all my water in and waited a couple of minutes and poured back in my measuring cup. If the level is the same you should be good to go. Just take you time putting you trim back up and you should be good to go! I hope someone finds this helpful!