A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Well thanks to Ben (aweyea) and Steves VW here are my APR Stage 2+ Impressions and Install notes...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well thanks to Ben (aweyea) and Steves VW here are my APR Stage 2+ Impressions and Install notes...

Well to start off I got the chip installed at Steves VW (www.stevesvw.com) in Waterford Michigan. I must say the service there was awesome. I showed up after closing time due to traffic and getting lost and the parts manager Andres stayed and installed the chip for me on his own time. I just brought the ECU to him and he just installed the chip and me and Ben(Aweyea) picked up the Injectors. If anyone is interested in getting work done at Steves VW I would definately recommend it.

Anyhow, Me and Ben decided we would try and do the install our selves, first off for fun a second so I could save some cash. I showed up at Ben's house and we removed the ECU there (I had already removed the damn chasity belt earlier so I it only took 15 minutes to get the ECU out. Ben then drove me down to Steves VW (THANKS BEN!!) and we got the ECU chipped and picked up the injectors.

Now let me start off by saying me and Ben are by no mean experts at this kind of stuff, heck we didnt even know where the injectors were. But with a few directions from some fellow AW'ers it was VERY simple. If anyone is considering installing the injectors themselves by all means go for it, its not hard at all. The hardest part was when we dropped a clip and it fell down on the Belly pan, but since Ben had some experience in that situation, he got it back fairly easy.

I wont go into how to remove the ECU because there are already many detailed instructions on that so I will just explain the injectors.
Basically you remove the engine cover to expose the fuel rail. You will see the fuel rail its not hard to miss and you can already see a bit of the injectors showing they are a light blue in color. The fuel is held in by 2 hex bolts (this will also help identify the fuel rail) you just remove those 2 hex bolts which hold the fuel rail down to the manifold and once you are done that you can simply pull up on the fuel rail (easy) and the injectors will pop right out.

You will want to put a rag over the opening of the manifold to soak up any gas that drops out but mostly to prevent any dirt falling into the manifold. Well once you have removed the injectors from the manifold there are 2 clips which need to be removed for each injector to get them off the fuel rail. One clip is attaching the injectors to the fuel rail, and the other clip is attaching the wire harness to the injector. Once you remove those two clips (just use a flat head screw driver and snap them off, very easy) you can just pull the injectors out from the fuel rail and the wire harness.

When you do this a little bit of fuel will leak out from the fuel rail. Dont not worry just make sure you have some rags or paper towels handy to soak it up. The only fuel that will spill is the fuel that is in the rail so no need to worry.

Now to install the new injectors is just the opposite of removing the old injectors of course. But be sure to oil the O-rings on the injectors before you put them back in. We just used some motor oil and just put it on my finger and spread it around each ring, no biggie. Once you get the injectors all in place and all the clips are installed, you then just slightly push the injectors into the manifold untill they feel like they wont go in anymore (you will be able to tell, its not hard and doesnt require force so dont force it!) Then you just screw the 2 hex bolts to attach the fuel rail back to the manifold, clean up any spilt gas and you are done! Now that wasnt very hard was it Ben

Well now my impressions. I got 3 programs stock, 91, 93, and Fault code Erase/Throttle body Allignment. I put the car two 93 (man that ECMS is so damn cool and easy to use) Well when I first took the car out for a spin, Ben was much more impressed then I was, the car felt a little faster but not that much. I took it for a few spins to get use to it then I put it back into stock (god Im glad you have that option) and I took it for a spin. Automatically I was like "WTF!" where did the power go! "Come on car move!" There was such a big difference it was funny. I then put the car back into 93 and whipped around in it for abit and got Ben to drive it aswell.

I could automatically feel the difference after I could compare it to stock, otherwise it would have been hard to compare not because the chip doesnt do all that much but because its just so damn smooth! But since the butt dyno isnt always accurate I got Ben to pull out his beast (his car is stock in terms of engine mods) and we raced.

Now before we get flamed, it wasnt on a street with a bunch of kids, it was later in the evening so no cars were around and the street was wide enough for like 6 cars and we didnt go very fast either so please save the flames.

Well to start off his car is tip and mine is manual and by all means I am no expert at launching. The first time we raced I did beat him by about a car length but not untill second gear because I had the worst launch ever. We then gave it another go (i got a much better launch) and my car completely pulled away, the faster we went the more I pulled but I kept hitting the redline because the gears are so much shorter now that I am still not use to the shift points. So even though I wasnt driving the car as best as it could be driven, it was still fairly obviously that my car was quite faster. Once again my car is the equivalent of Stage 2+. I already had the APR exhaust and I just installed the stage 1+.

Since it was getting late I ended up drivng back to Ben's picked up my tools and drove home. Once again thanks Ben! Well since the drive home was a good 30 minutes it gave me time to get a better "feel" for my new found power.

The chip is just so damn smooth! No joke it is smoother then stock. The car totally feels like it should or could have come that way from the factory. The power is very linear. The redline hit about at 6900rpm now so it is higher. I did not test the top speed LOL so dont ask. But many times when i was on the gas I had to let off because the car was just going where as with stock I rairly felt nervous to the point where I would let off the gas. I also notice when on the highway 5th gear is now awesome. You dont have to shift into 4th all the time to get some passing power. You can feel the boost come in alot sooner and faster. I found that I didnt have to shift down asmuch to get the power I was looking for but on the other end I would down shift and it would be too much, I totally have to relearn how to drive the car now.

The gears are MUCH shorter now, especially 1st gear. I am sure you have all notice that after about 4000rpm the car kind of dies off, it just makes some noise but doesnt do anything. Well now you can feel the car pulling alot more all the way untill around 6000-6300rpm. You can also hear the turbo more, its not loud or anything but you can hear it more.

Thats pretty as detailed as I can go. The car feels like a totally different machine and it has filled my hunger for power. I hope even when I get use to it I wont want more because my wallet is in pain now. But I cant stress enough how smooth the car feels, I was really worried about loosing the stock like driving for everyday driving but no joke the power is much more smoother then when even in stock.

So bottomline if you are interested I say go for it. Yes it is a big chunck of change but you will not be disapointed. You drive an Audi treat it right!
Old 01-10-2003, 10:25 AM

Default now get the 100 octane program and find you some race gas!

no joke it's a BLAST!
Old 01-10-2003, 10:31 AM

Default Yah I was considering it but....

I doubt I will use it that much and I figured id get more use out of TBA/Fault code erase so I went with that instead. Im sure it is sweet but I dont think id ever get around to using it. Is it true what they say that the chip gets better after a couple of days?
Old 01-10-2003, 10:35 AM

If you don't mind me asking how much was everything, did u get an disc thats a $ order
Old 01-10-2003, 10:44 AM

Default Well...

I got the exhaust at a seperate time when APR did there tour. I got it with a K&N filter and the total was $1040. Now stage 1+ is $500 for the injectors $399 for the chip, The second program is free, the third program was an extra $69, and fault code erase/TBA was an extra $59, so total for th chip because I installed it myself was $1027.
Old 01-10-2003, 10:52 AM

Default Will the APR shops supply you with the one time use screws for the ecu? or do u go to Audi for them

I want to do the satge 1, the 1+ is a bit pricey now for me. I am gonna wait until a club day sale to get it, It'll prob cost like 40 dollars more but I should be able to afford it x-mas kinda left me broke.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:24 AM

Default Did you deal with Andreas at Steves?

I just spoke with them regarding the APR chip I was reading about on the Audi DTW forum. Andreas seemed very knowledgable. What does the throttle alignment program do for you?
Old 01-10-2003, 11:49 AM

Default it smooths out. power will be about the same.

dude.

the race gas program is SO worth it. even if you just use it once a month.

hell, you can't afford to put 104 octane in all the time....at $4.75-$5.00 a gallon. $40 got me half a tank, and $25 usually fills me up on 93.

but damn, it's fun. the stage 3 houston guys call it "liquid crack."

nectar of the gods is also appropriate.
Old 01-10-2003, 01:49 PM

Default What color are the APR injectors-wondering if they are a dead give away?

This is the setup i would like to have Jeff, keep us informed. Thanks
Old 01-10-2003, 03:34 PM

Thats the thing I doubt Id even use it once a month.

Quick Reply: Well thanks to Ben (aweyea) and Steves VW here are my APR Stage 2+ Impressions and Install notes...