A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Well went to my body shop to see my Oettinger kit so those with questions READ HERE.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well went to my body shop to see my Oettinger kit so those with questions READ HERE.

Its look to be very high quality. I was very impressed with the finish of the kit. The rear on the other hand is not all that great. Seems like they went cheap on the US spec rear! My body shop guy asked me when I first got there if the rear was made by a different manufacturer because the rear was made of fibreglass! I was a touch peeved about it. On the other hand it is fairly flexible which was surprising. My body shop guy told me it shouldnt be a problem as it is the rear and it is flexible, if the front was Id be mad. My body shop guy also said that the rear would take alittle more prep work because it was not as smooth as the rest so it would need some more primeing and sanding. The kit also came with some cut outs for the rear if you wanted to fill up where the exhuast goes? Weird, dunno why anyone wouldnt want the exhausts to show. My only thought was maybe in other countries there is only one exhaust? But the cut outs are made of polyurethane which means that the Eurospec rear is indeed made of polyurethane and only the US spec got shafted with fibreglass.

The front and sides just need a light sand and can be painted. I opted to get the front primmed again but with black primmer instead of the white that comes with it, so if I get light stone chips it will still look decent as my car is black. (all at an extra cost of course)

The Mesh that comes with the kit is actually made of plastic which is much better then getting some cheap painted metal mesh that chips and rusts after time (My projektzwo kit on my old A4 was like that)

For those that are wondering if the fogs can be relocated, (I was very interested in doing so as I hated the looks of it in the pictures) It would be alot more work then expected. The bracket for the foglights is an actual part of the bumper, it is molder straight out the bumper by the polyurethane. SO if you wanted to relocate it, you would have to cut it, remold it into the other corner and then try to make it all line up. Ontop of all that, the nice cutout in the mesh would no longer work and you would have to make up your own mesh. My body shop guy said that it would not be as strong as it is hard to mold polyurethane together. You could also make some custom brackets if you wanted. I guess it is possible but its more work and especially more money then I would like to spend. But to complety honest as much as I hated it in the pictures, it looks alot better in person. They did such a good job with the brackets and the mesh it looks very intrigrated and OEM in appearance.

No instructions come with kit but it seems fairly straight forward. The rear stock bumper might need some cutting wear the exhaust cutout are but I am not 100% sure. Let me say that the kit looks MUCH better in person, and the quality is very similar to OEM if not better (sans the rear of course) The only other complaint I have is the cover for the toe hook. It doesnt fit exactly flush but with some minor modifications, my body shop will get it to fit. I was going to getting it shaved smooth but in fear of a light bump to the front, it could easily crack as techincally it is considered a repair.

Well that pretty much covers it. I should have it done by the end of next week, so if there are any further questions shoot away!
Old 08-02-2002, 12:03 PM

Great post. Can't wait to see pics.
Old 08-02-2002, 01:32 PM

You have to enlarge the exhaust cut outs
Old 08-02-2002, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I just got mine today too!!!!!y'

I went to the shop to pay for the kit and what do you know the Oettinger kit was just delivered a couple minutes before I got to the shop. Call it coincidence or destiny but that kit has got my name all over it. I can't wait to take it to the bodyshop to get it primed(again), sanded, painted, and installed. As Universo said the kit does look alot better in person, and the rear is nicely designed but we got assed in the fiberglass finish. I love Fridays....
Mike
PS-I'll post as soon as I get the car out of the shop....they're gonna work on my car 24/7 to get it done before a photoshoot.
Old 08-02-2002, 03:29 PM

What do you mean? Do you have to cut the stock exhause cut outs?
Old 08-02-2002, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

ther us spec rear came out already?....
Old 08-02-2002, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

wow, oettinger kit was rare couple weeks ago. now everyone has it.