A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

what does the window regulator do ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what does the window regulator do ?

im thinking the dealer is seriously trying to rip me off here and i have to know before i go to pick it up tomorrow...

when a window sinks in on our cars... isn't it usually just a broken clip ? between my jetta and now the a4 this is the 5th time i've had this happen... and all previous times it was a clip

now when it sunk in i could still hear the motor working which leads me to believe its now the window regulator and they are possibly lying to me telling me i need a $200 part when its in fact just a clip

anyone think its a possibility... if not can someone explain what a window regulator does and if it sounds like mine is broken ?
Old 03-10-2006, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's about what they cost....and they eventually all die

When I got rid of my old Mitsubishi both passenger side regulators were toast.

The price you pay for power windows.<ul><li><a href="http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient-ff&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;rls=GGGL,GGGL:2005-09,GGGL:en&amp;q=window%20regulator&amp;sa=N&amp;t ab=wi">2 second search...is quicker than using the boards</a></li></ul>
Old 03-10-2006, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default ha, thanks for the google search !

now i am thinking mine truly isn't fried though... because you can hear the motor still ...

and it sound identical to each of the other 4 times this happened to me all of which were a broken clip

it makes the sound like the motor is turning but the window is off the track

im almost sold on the fact that im being taken for like 300 dollars here
Old 03-10-2006, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The motor on the regulator can be fine

and the problem be in the cables.

Regulators are susceptable to failure.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default damn !

thanks for the info... i was just hoping it wouldn't sound like it worked and potentially still be broken now i can only have my conspiracy theories and not act on them
Old 03-10-2006, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default *SLAP*

You have these grand theories of conspiracy yet you didnt know what they did or what they even looked like!
Old 03-10-2006, 07:56 PM

Default dude, you can buy the window regulator online for like $100 bucks. im sure if you dont want....

to tackle the install a shop can put it in for alot less than $200.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default no its just that...

its the 5th time ive had this problem ... previous 4 times always under warranty it was a cheapo clip that broke...

this time im out of warranty... i get there the guy acknowledges this is a common vw/audi problem and says its $101 to diagnose (shop labor rate for 1 hour) then the guy says generally its a simple fix and we work in the fix to the diagnosis rate so it'll be close to the quote of $101

sure enough its $398

and better yet when i told the guy i had no warranty he said we'll do our best to help you out on the price i know how it is...

sure enough the cars goes on a lift and he discovers $800 in problems to fix...

what happened to keeping it cheap for me

and why the hell did my car go on a lift in the first place when im there because my window sunk in...

i just find the whole situation a little hairy
Old 03-10-2006, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default well yeah...

but $101 of that $398 total was to diagnose the problem to begin with... without them doing that i have no idea what part to order to begin with

so now I'm working out of $297...

So $100 labor and $197 part....

the difference is I know I'm being ripped off... but its a friday afternoon and i have school on monday... any independent shop is gonna need to order this part where as the dealer had it stocked... my odds of having the car monday were severely limited...

and if the other option is rent a car in the mean time i end up probably paying more to fix it...

it just sucks no matter how i look at it... now i still think the dealer is ripping me off and will try my best to say this is b.s. drop the price
Old 03-10-2006, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You are not being ripped on on the regulator

You might be able to shave $100 if you can find the part online...however the prices your dealer quoted you were in line for the part and labor at a dealership....be it Audi, VW, Toyota, or Honda.

Quick Reply: what does the window regulator do ?