A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

What would you do, if anything....(longish)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 06:57 AM
JP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do, if anything....(longish)

Picked up the wife's ordered A4 1.8 T PPS last Thursday. I had requested via a FAXed letter that dealer badges and clear bra not be installed, and that no wax be applied. They had complied with that request although it now seems "after the fact". I noticed quite a few bad scratched on the Denum Blue hood and mentioned it to the manager who was working the sale with us. It was agreed that, if needed, they would buff the hood out (something I do not want done). During a Zaino full course polish job Friday, I noticed the majority of the scratches were in the area where a clear bra would be. Where the edge would have been, the scratches were concentrated. I believe they inadvertently installed the damn thing and then removed it. We managed to get ~60% of them out with Zaino Z5 after 3 applications (on that area). Again, what would you do?

That Denum Blue (or darker color) after a clay bar treatment, Z5, Z6, and Z2 is absolutely brilliant, never seen anything like it. I've got some pictures I'll post later this week.

The sport pack Continentals were very noisy, I thought the drive train was hosed. Dunlop SP Sport 5000 stopped that.

Hell of a car!
.../jp
Old 07-15-2002, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why do you think they'd install a clear bra? It's not a common thing for a dealer to even (more)

install in the first place. You usually have to go aftermarket, as Audi has no official clear bra kit - just leather bras. Removing one is also similar to removing the factory delivery protection (the white plastic sheets on the car).

Does your dealer have some option of installing clear bras? Is that why you had to request that they not put one on?
Old 07-15-2002, 07:07 AM

Default I know what I WOULDN'T do, is let that dealer near the car again.

I would seriously consider asking him for some sort of compensation like free oil changes at 5k intervals or something. you might be able to get the scratches out over time with multiple clay barring and wax. But I would not let them touch the cars exterior ever again.
Old 07-15-2002, 07:38 AM
JP

Default Re: Why do you think they'd install a clear bra?...

Yes. They install a clear bra as part of the prep, right off the truck, and the cost is outrageous. Had to make the same request on the A6.

I think someone panicked removing this one (if that is what happended).
..../jp
Old 07-15-2002, 07:53 AM
JP

Default I'm having a hell-of-a-time with this site today...

I've tried to repond here 3 times.

I agree - I'd like to keep some clear coat on there. If it wasn't so damn hot here last few days, I probably could have removed 95% of them. Just can't handle the heat.

My wife does need a trunk liner and those oil changes are a good idea.
.../jp
Old 07-15-2002, 08:51 AM

Default Ahh - I would be pissed if a dealer tried slipping that option on me... (more)

I have a clear bra on my car, but it was my choice and I did the shopping around for it - not my dealer.

As far as the scratches, very possible, though it's more likely they were caused during installation (can happen easy if the installer isn't careful). Either way, they're there now, and the dealer is responsible for getting rid of them. I agree that buffing is a bit extreme. How deep are the scratches? Can you feel them with your finger nail? If not, some scratch remover may make them invisible - I've done this a number of times on my car for scratches I've caused.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:57 AM

Claybars aren't really for scratches. But yes, they can be worked out using other means over time.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:34 PM
JP

Default I don't think any are deep enough to feel...

Yea, if I'd been caught with a double priced clear bra, (and I understand their material will yellow) "pissed" would be a good word. I'll keep working at the scratches and try the scratch remover if any are stubborn.
..../jp