A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Window Switch does not work

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Switch does not work

Happy holidays! I have an Audi a4 2002 1.8T base model car. The power window switches on the 4 doors can not work. Only the master switch besides the driver can control the windows, so there is no problem with the motors and window regulators. And the driver front side's cannot roll up/down since the switch on the master switch for the front driver side cannot work, while the rest of the switches on it can control the windows.

Does anyone have the same or similar experience? I appreciate your advice.

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

the window lock switch on the drivers door is messed up and is the driuvers window switch. Looks like you will be spending 70 bucks on a new switch as I did a few months ago. the window regulator replacement thread on here will have the info needed to untrim the door. Have fun! It's really easy so dont worry about it.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you very much for the quick reply, Hamstang.

Actually the door locks work fine. Only the windows are in the malfunction mode. Did you only replace the master window switch or other switches on each of the door as well?

What confuses me is that how come only the master switch controls the individual window, but not the individual switch on the window itself.

Right now, the driver front switch on the master switch, and all the other three switches on the other three doors show no response. But the three (passenger front, and two rear switches on the master switch) can trigger the windows.

In your case, only replacing the master window switch solved the problem?

Thank you.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

First things first, did you push the window lock button? If you did and still have the problem...

The master switch over rides the individual door switches. So it is broken and the individual doors are not able to control the windows. This is a relatively common problem. Here is a link to replacement switches. Like I said, a common fault and an easy fix!
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com

Last edited by Pete@ECSTuning; 12-29-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi alexwonggjy,

FYI, the cause of your problem is a frayed / broken wire in the driver's door jamb. I know since I had *exactly* same issue/symptoms as you and resolved it by fixing the wire.

Simply pull the accordian-like rubber cover to expose the wires leading from the door to the car. You'll see one or more wires that are broken, or about to break.

Since the wires are pretty short (not much give) I found that it is easier to splice an extra piece to re-attach two ends together.

This 'brittle'/crappy wire problem also causes (depending on the wire):
1) Door speakers cutting in/out.
2) Power lock on the door not working.
etc.

Happy New Year!
Old 02-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

the usual symptoms is the windows goes down and then refuses to rise back up. the easiest way is to replace the clips with new ones . if you will replace the whole mechanism, you will need a pop riveter, small screwdriver for the window switch
Old 09-14-2015, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I am having the same problem

Hello I have the same problem after I removed the whole panel. Did you have your issue resolved?

Originally Posted by alexwonggjy
Happy holidays! I have an Audi a4 2002 1.8T base model car. The power window switches on the 4 doors can not work. Only the master switch besides the driver can control the windows, so there is no problem with the motors and window regulators. And the driver front side's cannot roll up/down since the switch on the master switch for the front driver side cannot work, while the rest of the switches on it can control the windows.

Does anyone have the same or similar experience? I appreciate your advice.

Thanks.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So there is no computer software of B.S. needed to update? Even for the 2007 model?