A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

You guys are giving way too little importance about the chip.Giac or APR? what to should i do?>

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You guys are giving way too little importance about the chip.Giac or APR? what to should i do?>

its the most important mod for a 1.8t
and i dont think any 1.8t should go through life without one.
Old 03-03-2002, 05:18 AM

Too little importance? We've been discussing chips to death here... read the last few pages.
Old 03-03-2002, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Why don't you try them both and let us know. ;)

BTW, apr's is not out yet.
Old 03-03-2002, 08:44 AM

Default Re: You guys are giving way too little importance about the chip.Giac or APR? what to should i do?&g

Gentlemen, I am new to this forum, and this is the second vehicle I have had "GIAC" chipped "2001 TT and 2002 A4." Both cars were much improved as daily drivers and both had substantial improvements in gas mileage as well as performance! The program installed in my A4 is the latest version of the 02 chip and I find part throttle response as well as top end performance to be substantially improved. Nothing feels better than pulling around a slower moving car and feeling the push of that huge increase in torque! In my opinion, the postings that I see from the "experts" expressing concern over fuel delivery problems is simply nonsense! I drive my car 20 Miles each way to work every day and the only "condition" I can duplicate is the vibration between 2200 and 2900 RPM going up hill WOT. Any one who has had a high performance car from the 60's or 70's has felt this before.... So either learn to down shift or buy someone else's wimpy chip!

Ps: The guys from AWE installed both chips in a quick and professional manor. I would definitely recommend them!
Old 03-03-2002, 09:11 AM

Default ??????????????

I'm just going to leave that one alone.
(shrugs shoulders and walks away)
Old 03-03-2002, 10:02 AM

Default Yep, the engineers at APR, ABT and MTM are full of "nonsense"....

ROTFLAYSA
Old 03-03-2002, 10:05 AM

Default A few thoughts

The 'experts' you deride are exactly that. ABT, MTM and APR, automotive engineering firms, agree that there are fueling issues with the 02 1.8t that need resolution to safely deliver greater than ~195. Upsolute and GIAC, both software firms disagree and provide fueling and timing maps only. I am not familiar enough with Neuspeed, which also has a chip available to ascertain whether their expertise falls somewhere in between.

A lean burn condition won't necessarily manifest itself in short-term issues or damage but long term it will. With a normally aspirated engine, if it is sufficiently lean you may note oil and/or water temperature increase during heavy load. On a forced induction engine the exhaust gas temperatures may be high enough to cause damage, in a shorter time frame, to the turbo.

The fact that downshifting to a lower gear relieves the 'vibration' may merely mean you are avoiding the very issue presented here, namely that at maximum load the chip only solution runs short of fuel. On my 99.5 with a chip and exhaust only, going WOT uphill at 2200-2900 rpm did not cause any vibrations and those with GIAC chips in the < 02 cars do not report this either. If you will recall your experience with your GIAC'd 01 TT I think you will remember that going WOT at 2200-2900 RPM did not induce the same phenomenon. After all, 2200-2900 rpm is well within the 'meat' of the torque band on the K03 equipped 1.8t.

On my GT-25 turbo going WOT at 2200 rpm uphill doesn't cause vibration or stumbling. It doesn't go worth a hoot because that is too far below the meat of the torque. At 2900 rpm the GT 25 is getting up on the torque curve and it will accelerate easily without vibration or stumbles.

While the fact that you have a single post on the AW forums does not necessarily diminish your experiences or opinions, it does call into question if your appearance is calculated. Especially given the derisive nature of your post.. " someone else's wimpy chip".

Other GIAC 02 chip users have reported issues with vibration and stumbling under maximum load and reported their experiences here. While that does not prove the issue exists it can't be easily dismissed, especially given your seeming verification of the issue with similar experiences.

The price of error in dismissing ABT, APR and MTM's concerns seems a bit steep to me. Were I in the market for a power upgrade on a 02 1.8t I think I would opt for a little more patience.
Old 03-03-2002, 10:40 AM

Default Re: A few thoughts

I understand what you are saying. I have no stumbling problems with the chip in my A4 and I am certain GIAC could lower the boost in the 2200-2900 RPM range to eliminate that issue but that would effect performance across the spectrum. I believe when pushed, the chip operates at the upper limits of my otherwise stock engine. The person who flogs their car daily should probably get a more conservative program. I don't drive that way.
Old 03-03-2002, 11:03 AM

DEATH to CHIPS....ummm, no.... wait. I mean, uhhhhh..... ;-)
Old 03-03-2002, 11:27 AM

Well said , here here !

Quick Reply: You guys are giving way too little importance about the chip.Giac or APR? what to should i do?>