A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

2005.5 Audi A4 2.0T looking for ideas on mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0T looking for ideas on mods

I just got this car and there are a few things i would like to do. I am debating on a Cold Air intake and if so which one. Also i saw an Intercool upgrade with piping for 300 bucks. I am sort of looking to acheive a little more sound with my turbo blowoff. Audi seemed to do a good job on making it quiet, i dunno if there is a blowoff silencer on the car i can remove or replace. I was hoping that the cold air intake may Strengthen the sound level of the blow off. Also what will i notice in the Audi with the CAI please include details on sound and MPG improvements and bit of boost i may notice? Thank you id appreciate the help, i looking to order this stuff tonight.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Carbonio adds some nice intake/bypass sound, but it is kind of pricey. I am not a fan of the blow-off noise, especially on Audis, so no advice on that.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The Audi is equipped with a Diverter Valve that takes the leftover and dumps it into the engine (it's non-atmospheric). You need a spacer to get the BOV sound out of an Audi. They are available from Forge. That said, BOV's are just pointless on a car with a little K03 turbo. If you had a BT kit of some sort with a GT30, you would have a wastegate and need for it.

As for the intake, it will give you a pretty wicked sound that should make up for not having a BOV. EVOMS makes a good intake that costs less than Carbonio. Personally, you couldn't get me to pay that much ($400) for an intake. You won't get really any added benefit from an intake at all and it definitely doesn't increase boost. What you need is a chip tune from Revo, APR, or GIAC. That will be your best bang for the buck mod by far. 40 hp from just software.

Keep in mind that you have an Audi. Parts are not going to be cheap. I would not trust a $300 IC for a our cars. Remember, if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

okay, so i see the first thing i should do is get the chip. now with the chip will that mess up my car in the long run? And also will i notice any change at all going from driving without the chip to driving with the chip? And how much is this chip going to lower my MPG? thanks alot.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:37 PM

I'd do a search on "chip" in the B7 forum and read, read, read. All of your questions, and more, can be answered by searching. You're not the first to ask these questions
Old 03-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by greywolf1699
okay, so i see the first thing i should do is get the chip. now with the chip will that mess up my car in the long run? And also will i notice any change at all going from driving without the chip to driving with the chip? And how much is this chip going to lower my MPG? thanks alot.
Well, obviously, you will notice when your car has 50 more HP. So that should answer itself. MPG will probably not change. They all boast better figures, I but I would venture to say you'll see the same as before. My real world MPG hasn't changed much with all my mods. I've been chipped for 30K mi. and no problems that aren't normal for a B7. Replacing your DV with a Forge one or the like will benefit you in the long run, but isn't necessary right away.

Trust me, once you do it, you will wonder how you lived without it. The dealer re-flashed my car for that flapper mod update and I lost my chip (normal). I almost cried when I got back in it to drive it to the tuner shop to have it re-done.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hmmmm, it seems that the chip is going to run me close to 600 bucks plus around 100 bucks per program i want.... Thats for the APR chip at least.....
Old 03-18-2009, 07:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, it costs money, but it's totally worth and it is the best bang for the buck mod for your car. My friend pushed me to do it, rather unwillingly, when I first bought the car 2 years ago and I can't thank him enough for pushing me to spend that money.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Okay, i think i will snag the APR 91 octane chip. I wonder how it will work with 87 octane fuel. Our local gastations go for fuel wise 87 89 93.... i usuall got with the 87.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the APR chip with stock, 91, 93 and 100. If you get a chip, you need to commit to using premium fuel. Otherwise, the system automatically reduces boost and timing to meet the fuel requirements. In other words, you pay for the chip, then use cheap fuel, and the performance will be same as it ever was... probably worse. By the way, you are hurting the performance of the stock system as well by not using premium fuel. Use the right fuel, performance will increase, and so will gas mileage.

Quick Reply: 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0T looking for ideas on mods