A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

A4 a good road warrior car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 a good road warrior car?

Hello,

I drive @ 36,000 miles per year and have been researching A4's for sale. I am in love with the A4 and have found a couple of 2007 cpo's with mileage in the low 30's as well as private sellers that I really like but have gotten a little scared off with reliability and in particular the oil burning question. Can anyone please offer a little guidance as for what I'm in for? If I keep driving my Toyota any longer I might fall asleep at the wheel due to sheer boredom!

Thanks
Old 05-16-2011, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tschaeb
Hello,

I drive @ 36,000 miles per year and have been researching A4's for sale. I am in love with the A4 and have found a couple of 2007 cpo's with mileage in the low 30's as well as private sellers that I really like but have gotten a little scared off with reliability and in particular the oil burning question. Can anyone please offer a little guidance as for what I'm in for? If I keep driving my Toyota any longer I might fall asleep at the wheel due to sheer boredom!

Thanks
I can only give you my 3-year experience with my previously owned 2007 A4 2.0TQ. In short, I had an excellent experience before trading it in this past December. The only time I had a check engine light come on was a few days before trading it in. It just needed a PCV valve which was still covered under warranty. Prior to this, nothing at all.

Mine did consume oil, but got used to it and always kept an eye on the oil level. I would need about a 1/2 liter (say half qt.) every 7000km or about 4500 miles depending on driving conditions. I always carried a liter of oil with me.

One major thing to take note of is the cam follower issue which is well documented in many threads here on AW. Dealer cost to replace is about $250-$300, but if there is a failure you could be looking at up to $3000 for engine repairs.

Dealer parts and labour is not cheap, but if you can DIY there are some good bucks to be saved.

BTW, mine was a CPO as well with 10,000 miles on the clock when I got it.

Good luck
Old 05-16-2011, 06:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an '06 2.0t awd, q.grey man.trans fully loaded. At 67k miles, Audi has just fixed and replaced cam follower, camshaft, hpfp, headlamp. I have had issues since around 48k miles. They are planning on releasing a campaign to extend the warranty on the cam follower problem and cover damages do to it's failure. The dipped headlamp is also a known issue, tsb put out in '07 for it's failure. In Dec'10 AOA sent out info to me stating that they will include the dipped headlamp failure under warranty if it happens. As of the last 2 months my front windows are now jacked up and won't operate really without failure. So now that the car is fixed and driving great I can't roll down the windows and enjoy the fresh air. All that being said, it is fun to drive and very comfortable for a sports sedan. I drove a '07 335i sedan for 2 years before picking up my A4 and while I feel like the 335i is more of a drivers car performance wise, it is not nearly as comfortable as the A4 or ergonomically laid out on the interior. Like most turbo's the A4 is very tunable if more power is desired. Now, would you be interested in buying my car? I am about to list it on Cars.com, good condition, fully loaded w/sport suspension etc. I actually just purchased a new Koni coilover set that is unopened, fully adjustable. I can sell that with the car too, as I was about to lower the car and put new wheels on it. BTW, I do have brand new Michelins PS's on the car that have a lot of wear still. That's all I have for now, Let me know if u have other questions.

Last edited by imtimmy; 05-16-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just keep up on things like oil changes (I change mine every 5k) and you will be fine. I put around 30,000 a year on mine and other than having to replace the PCV (covered under CPO warranty) and the cam follower issue (again covered under warranty) the car has been good to me.

Checking the cam follower is an easy DIY job, and one you won't really have to worry that much with prior to 120,000 miles anyway with the extended factory warranty.