A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Any chance of rigging up an IPod to the Audi Symphony (Bose)...???

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default But the Icelink is $200... almost as expensive as the freakin IPod itself....

And it doesnt yet support the Nano for the Audi models....

Compared to which, the cassette is $20... I just got one yesterday -- it's not the greatest, but more than adequate nevertheless. Just that freakin ugly wire sticking out of the headunit and ofcourse, no Ipod control through the headunit or steering wheel.

Thanks for all the help, guys. I guess I'll stick with cassette for sometime...
Old 10-06-2005, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not true.

I knew there would be some disagreement on this; there always is.

I hooked up XM Radios through Blitzsafes on two Monsoons at the same time -- one in my '04 Jetta, and one in my wife's '04 Passat. The external wiring made it easy to use either adapter with either source (XM or MP3 player).

I found that the Blitzsafe was <i>muffled across the entire spectrum</i>, while the cassette adapter falls off only at the lowest frequencies.

Again, we need to remember that the "poor quality" associated with tape is due to the 1-7/8 ips speed of the specific cassette format. To suggest that analog magnetic heads can't deliver high fidelity is to ignore the fact that for decades reel-to-reel was the top choice of audiophiles, and the fact that even vinyl was mastered from analog tape.

The adapter is not hindered by "tape speed" since there is no actual tape.

As for the theory that sources sound better going through the aux port than the cassette head, that certainly sounds like it <i>should</i> be true. However, you can't run it into the aux port without first going through the Blitzsafe. Who knows what's going on inside their adapter? Maybe they need better isolation from their control circuitry.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Panasonic casette adaptor

I think I remember looking at my adaptor (which I still have) and believe that it boosts the high end to compensate for the Dolby NR. Also, if the heads between the two aren't aligned perfectly, they you really get some horrible sound.

I never listened to anything with the monsoon on the VW so can't comment on that one, but I do know one thing for sure, the wired hookup I have used with both the B5 and the B7 sounds much clearer. Quite parts of the song is nearly hiss free (while there is considerable amount of hiss with the cassette adaptor) though I'm getting some sort of signal leak as I hear some sort of radio station very faintly but only when I have the volume set high.