A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Auto vs manual - anyone switch to manual and regret it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto vs manual - anyone switch to manual and regret it?

I've had 3 cars over the past 7 years, all auto. I've never driven a manual for than a half hour consecutively, so I'm not entirely sure what I am in for. I've been wanting to learn to drive a manual properly for the past few years, and enjoyed the limited time I've spent driving cars with manual transmissions.

Among my concerns are that my fianc?e is fairly resistant to the idea. She doesn't drive manual, never has, and has no desire to learn. Her father drove manual for a long time, and she says that riding with him always got her car sick, and that she will not want to ride in my car if I get a manual.

I'm also concerned about driving in traffic, snow, and mornings where I'm really not going to want to put in the extra effort. I'm sure eventually it will become second nature, but for now it demands a lot of focus. Still, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier to avoid all of this and get an automatic.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:31 AM

Default Re: Auto vs manual - anyone switch to manual and regret it?

I love manual but haven't driven much of it in recent years. I learnt to drive using a manual and still love it although many cars nowadays come with auto and my current car the B7 quattro is auto. I drove a manual car from 1999-2005 and now I miss hitting the clutch. I did get cramps when getting stuck in heavy traffic but I won't regret changing to manual. I grew up with it. If only I could get my hands on a B7 manual now.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:40 AM

Given it's size and handling characteristics, the B7 A4 is a LOT of fun to drive as a manual - that's why I got one

My fiancee (now wife) still hasn't learned, but then again we haven't tried to teach her either. I do have two friends who have manuals, both of whom have taught their wives to drive it and now they love driving it. As for her getting car sick - maybe someone couldn't shift smoothly - maybe she was constantly looking down and the shifter watching him drive. I know if I try to read while in a car, I'll feel sick too!

As for traffic - it is what it is - clutch in, clutch out. With hydraulic assist, unless you have knee problems, it shouldn't be such a big deal. As for the snow - you will have more control over what your wheels are doing - as long as you turn OFF ESP - sometimes you need to generate a little spin if you get yourself stuck.

To sum it up... GO FOR THE MANUAL - it's a TON of fun to drive The A4 is definitely designed for the driving enthusiast and having a manual will make it that much more fun!
Old 11-01-2005, 06:27 AM

It was the opposite for me. I went from a '95 bmw 325 manual to an '02 B5 S4 with an auto because I had moved to L.A. But I broke that lease early because I couldn't stand the lack of control, and the strange quirks of the auto. So here I am now with a manual in the B7, and I LOVE it. L.A. traffic and all.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's about the power

Honestly, unless I'm well above the 200hp range I just don't want to give up that much power to operating the drivetrain. An automatic adds weight (CVTs excluded), hurts mileage, and makes your car less responsive.

With a more powerful engine I'd consider it -- losing 30-some hp means a lot less at 300hp than it does at 200hp -- but for these cars the penalty's just too great IMO.

You're going to have a hard time selling this to your girlfriend. They generally don't buy a car for its performance, so they don't mind trading performance they'll never use for convenience they'll enjoy every day.

The one exception, of course, is the new DSG. That is the one automatic that approaches manual fun and doesn't give up any performance. In fact, it's even a little faster. Unfortunately, you can't get it with the A4 yet. To see what it's like, test drive an A3 -- which is a decent car in its own right.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:12 AM
MPR

Default ...and the control...

When I bought my B5 7 1/2 years ago it was my first car with a manual. I knew I was going to like it and it made me a better driver. After all that time it has become second nature. Besides, a "proper" car has a manual...

When I was shopping for a new car I kept comparing the transmissions to the B5's. I found that everything I tried felt like a garbage truck compared to the Audi.

I love the 6-speed in the B7. It took a while to get used to the different ratios and the fact that I now have 6!!!

Yes, it can be a pain during the morning commute, but the next time you have a stretch of empty road you forget all that and enjoy the car as it was meant to be.

I consider automatic transmissions to be like handcuffs for a car...
Old 11-01-2005, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm going against the wind

Personally, I prefer the automatic.

It's really all about your personal preference.

If you want the "ultimate in control", get the manual.

If you want the "ultimate in possible performance", get the manual.

If you're really worried that someone will accuse you of driving a "chick's car" by having the auto, get the manual.

All that said, if you want the "ultimate in smooth power delivery" get the auto.

If you want the "ultimate in convenience" get the auto.

I drive an 05.5 2.0TQ with the Tiptronic.

It's fantastic. I can slide it into manual mode for times that I feel I'd like a little more control and it works great. No, it's not like driving a manual, but I don't need it to be.

I had an 02 1.8T with the CVT as well. I had no problems with my CVT and THAT was really smooth.

I've owned many cars with manual transmissions over the years, including a couple of Audis. I was never dis-satisfied with a manual, but I just prefer autos these days.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default NO WAY!!! See history...

History:
1980 Subaru - Manual (This one sucked!!!)
1973 Fiat 128 - Manual (Loved this one)
1979 Mercury Zepher - Automatic (Band Car)
1989 Saab - Manual (Drove Utah to Massachuesett in 38hrs - Great Car)
1994 Tercel (Loved this one) - Manul
1998 Corolla (Hated this one) - Manual
2002 A4 - Automatic/Tiptronic (A kindof Love/Hate)
2005 A4 - Manual (Totally Loving)

When I was driving the Automatic I never felt totally connected to the car. Don't plan on ever having a automatic again.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:45 AM

Default Just switched back to manual this year and LOVE it.

Maybe her dad was just a bad driver. BTW, I didn't know chick cars came in automatic. No one told me. Thanks for that tid bit of info.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:04 AM

Default i had auto B6, now in a manual B7... no regrets thus far...

but what i'd suggest is borrow a friend's manual car for a few days and when you're comfortable with yoru skill level, drive it through downtown traffic, just to see if its unbearable for you. As for your fiance, well thats another story, hey input is just as important

Quick Reply: Auto vs manual - anyone switch to manual and regret it?