A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Best iPod Connector for 2008 A4 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best iPod Connector for 2008 A4 Avant

My apologies if this has been posted before.

I am looking for the best iPod connector for a (B7) 2008 A4 3.2 FSI S-Line Avant with a Symphony/Bose stereo.

I have used the Audi connector in our previous A4 but would like an improvement from this.

The key aspect I am looking for is text capability and control on the stereo and driver console.

I would prefer not to disconnect the CD stacker or the sub.

I would also like this to charge an iPod Classic and iPhone 4s.

The Dension models seem to cover this off pretty well. Does anyone have any feedback on how they have worked with the above model?

Are there any other connectors worth looking at?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HowlarNZ
My apologies if this has been posted before.

I am looking for the best iPod connector for a (B7) 2008 A4 3.2 FSI S-Line Avant with a Symphony/Bose stereo.

I have used the Audi connector in our previous A4 but would like an improvement from this.

The key aspect I am looking for is text capability and control on the stereo and driver console.

I would prefer not to disconnect the CD stacker or the sub.

I would also like this to charge an iPod Classic and iPhone 4s.

The Dension models seem to cover this off pretty well. Does anyone have any feedback on how they have worked with the above model?

Are there any other connectors worth looking at?
Is your CD player in the dash or glove box?

I isntalled Dension Gateway 100 (with the power booster for charging my iPhone 4S) this past weekend on my Symphony II+ radio (which is the sat radio compatible, non nav, in dash 6 disc version of the symphony...no tape deck).

I ordered the part number GW16AC1 but received the GW17AC1 from Enfig. They are implying that there is some programming needed with the "17" newer version of the Gateway 100 on the Symphony II+ in order for it to work properly. Which is unfortunate becauase the "16" version was straight up plug-and-play...no issues for anyone with iPods or iPhone 4s. So far, I haven't had it programmed yet, so I can't give you a proper review. I will say that my radio went into SAFE mode, so have your 4-digit code for your radio handy incase this happens. If you don't have it, get the serial number of the radio (it is on the side of it) and Audi USA will give it to you over the phone.

Those with the GW16AC1 version of the Gateway 100 have given it rave reviews and Enfig considered it "perfect." I think I'll be one of the first to give a review on the "17" version but so far it has been frusterating. I'm sure once it is running properly I will be happy...hopefully
Old 07-16-2012, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

I knew there was a reason why I subconsciously kept highlighting the fact that I received the GW17AC1 and not a GW16AC1 version of the Gateway 100. As I mentioned before I am intending to use the GW 100 to charge my iPhone 4S. In order to do this you need to run a power booster with the unit. Little did I know that the GW17 is the updated version that includes a power booster internally (there was no way for me or anyone else to know this unless you work at Enfig or Dension). After speaking with Enfig, they mentioned that normally they would have recognized that I had ordered the booster and they would have automatically withheld it from the shipment.

Long story short(er) is that the unit is fried. Luckily, my radio kept putting itself in SAFE mode else something worse may have happened...not sure. Luckily, with the GW 100 assembly entirely removed, the radio comes out of SAFE mode without the need for the code and works perfectly.

The GW17AC1 also has another issue with getting text display to work. There are additional steps to take (apparently) but I don't know what they are yet. Once Enfig sends me a new Dension unit, I'll update again. Chris at Enfig has been super helpful by taking tech support calls well after business hours and has assured me that he's going to get everything taken care of.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Got the new dension unit (GW17AC1) in the mail yesterday and installed it. No power booster required for charging the iPhone 4S.

It more or less is plug and play but not quite flawless. Initially, after hitting the CD button, the radio screen read Track 1, CD 11. When it read this upon start up of the car, the dension unit would not be able to recognize the iPhone or an iPod. I pulled the radio again, and checked the connections, put everything back together and upon start up of the car, and pressing the CD button (no iPhone/iPod in the cradle yet), the radio screen read track 99, CD 11. This what I was looking for. It basically means that it is working properly when it initially reads this. I plugged in the iPod and it worked perfectly. Don't be concerned if at start up you get Track 1 immediately...the unit is just loading and it will switch over to Track 99 shortly.

They made great updates to this model as far as the interface goes. You can access all of the menus from the scroll and mode button at the left side of the steering wheel. You do not press a CD number in order to access Source (iPod GW, iPod UI, or AUX GW), Artist, Album, or Song, etc...it is all from the steering wheel. It also plays Pandora from the iPhone.

All in all, once I got the unit working, the sound quality was very nice and the interface was intuitive and easy.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the replies.

We have the Dension Gateway 100 installed and everything is working very well.

Takes a little getting used to but now I understand the controls, it is much better than the previous Audi version we had in our 2004 A4 1.8TQ.

Sound quality is very good from the Symphony with Bose system. I think our 6th Gen Nanos and iPhone 4s outperform the iPod Classic we usually have in the glovebox.

The iPhone charges comfortably and as easy playback as with the iPods.