A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Car is chocking, losing power

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 02:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car is chocking, losing power

Hi all,

New to the site and wondering whether i could get some advice. I've had my b7 for about 6months now and only recently started to have a bit of drama with it.

I am suspection the catalytic converter is gone however unsure. The car has definately lost power and feels like its chocking and if i put my foot down i can also smell somewhat of a burning smell too! any ideas?

also not sure if it is related but yesterday twice as i was driving it completely cut power for a second (so i tried to put my foot further down.... nothing) then when i let go and accelerated again it went as per normal. Transmission problem?

ps. service is due on saturday. planning to do full oil, filters, break pads & disks. maybe i should consider doing transmission

any help would be greatly apreciated. hope to learn alot from you guys
Old 03-25-2011, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Check your cam follower, cutting power for a second is a typical symptom of this being bad.

Look around your oil cap for oil, if some is around that area you might have a bad PCV valve.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by naiku
Check your cam follower, cutting power for a second is a typical symptom of this being bad.

Look around your oil cap for oil, if some is around that area you might have a bad PCV valve.
will do, can any more serious repocussions come from this?

sure enough found a bit of oil too..
Old 03-28-2011, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you could get access to a VAG-COM to pull the codes, that'd be very useful. You could have bad ignition coils, or a bad fuel pump. Hard to say without the diagnostics...
Old 03-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mksap11
If you could get access to a VAG-COM to pull the codes, that'd be very useful. You could have bad ignition coils, or a bad fuel pump. Hard to say without the diagnostics...
ok i pulled the codes, all good with no errors. However as you suggested it might possibly be the ignition coils. Audi dealer said there's a recall on the ignition coils on my VIN number, so i get them replaced for free how very kind of them!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My car was doing the same and the dealer just replaced the fuel pump today on it.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BlackA42.0T
My car was doing the same and the dealer just replaced the fuel pump today on it.
the choking or cutting out power? did it fix the problem?
Old 03-30-2011, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by %myst%
the choking or cutting out power? did it fix the problem?
Both. I would sit at a red light and the RPMs would drop and the car would shudder like it was about to die. I had a major loss of power. I would press on the gas and it would either not increase in speed or would jerk as it was attempting to increase in speed. Car seems fine now.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BlackA42.0T
Both. I would sit at a red light and the RPMs would drop and the car would shudder like it was about to die. I had a major loss of power. I would press on the gas and it would either not increase in speed or would jerk as it was attempting to increase in speed. Car seems fine now.
great to hear! well i'll definately take that into consideration, getting it looked at on saturday. i'll let you know how i go
Old 03-31-2011, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I hope that's all it is and is a simple fix for you. They only had my car in the shop for half a day. Had other things going on not related to that as well so maybe yours would be done a bit faster.

Quick Reply: Car is chocking, losing power