A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Coilovers...which one of these would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers...which one of these would you choose?

Vogtland // STaSIS (SS) // Eibach (Pro-Street)
Old 05-03-2006, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with Vogtlands.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:38 PM

Default Why did you choose them, do you like them..?

I'm sure performance-wise they're great. How are they during normal driving conditions, compared to stock stiffness?
Old 05-03-2006, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Coilovers...which set would you choose?

Hi:

I am not sure if I repliaed to you. I chose Vogtlands for our B7 A4 project based on phenomenal reviews and experiences with them on my B5 Avant project.

Koni = STaSIS seemed too soft.

I know nothing about Eibach... little curious but not enough to experiment.<ul><li><a href="http://www.startupracing.com/B7ProductsSuspension.htm">I also sell the Vogs... Click here for Free Shipping.</a></li></ul>
Old 05-03-2006, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

how about PSS9 , is that avail on B7's?
Old 05-04-2006, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default They're available and a great choice too...

Clicky linky...<ul><li><a href="http://www.mjbmotorsport.com/id78.html">PSS9 Coilover review</a></li></ul>
Old 05-04-2006, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Well...

When I got the car (oem non-sport) I knew that I had to make it lower using coilovers. My initial choices were the KW Variant 1, H&amp;R Street, Stasis Streetsports and Vogtlands. They are all more or less entry level coilovers. I figured that for 2 track days a year that I'm planning to attend these choices will be fine.

Research has revealed that the KW's are rather harsh and H&amp;R's are bouncy. For the longest time I was planning of buying Streetsports as they slightly are on the softer side and Toronto has some incredibly bad roads. After a while, I've became more interested in the Vogtlands partly because I wanted to be different (there are a lot of Streetsport users and no one seemed to be running Vogtlands on the B6 boards) and partly because I've realized that I do not want to upgrade the suspension and then be dissapointed that it is too soft. I spoke by phone with Mike@PureMS and Tomasz@StartupRacing who both assured me that while the Vogtlands are slightly stiffer than the Streetsports, their ride is still very acceptable and they both receive no complaints from their significant others (we all know that it's their opinion that matters the most).

Based on this I got the Vogtlands.

Unfortunately I do not really have that much feedback on the coilovers because I've had them installed less than 3 weeks ago and put on my 18" wheels with new tires (still breaking them in) only 2 days ago. The setup is very driveable. It is of course harsher than the non-sport oem but that is to be expected. I was actually expecting much worse. It's not bouncy at all. Body roll is minimized and nose dive is almost non-existent (keep in mind that I also have S4 HSport sways though). The suspension's behavior on bad and really bad roads is acceptable. Overall I'm happy with my choice.

Do take my verdict with a grain of salt because I've never ridden in an oem sport or any other car with a modified suspension.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default PSS9

I have yet to drive these. Based on pictures, specificats, and sicussions with owners I would rate these above STaSIS TrackSports. IMHO an excellent choice for track duty without the price of Penskes or Ohlins.

I would not call them street coilovers though. Linear springs, aluminum perches without rubber, gas charged shocks - all great stuff for track - will be harsh on the street.

If your car is:
Street only, likeit soft - Konis
Street first, track second - Vogtlands
Track first, street second - PSS9
Track only - Penskes (or Ohlins, though I am partial to Penskes ;-)<ul><li><a href="http://www.startupracing.com/B7ProductsSuspension.htm">Vogs</a></li></ul>
Old 05-04-2006, 07:58 AM
Former Vendor

Default Very happy with our Vogtland setup.

Ride is firm, controlled. Not harsh, bouncy or floaty at all. Absolutely no complaints from the wife either.<ul><li><a href="http://www.purems.com/products/product.php?II=149">In stock here</a></li></ul>
Old 05-04-2006, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

There you go. I'm happy as well.

Quick Reply: Coilovers...which one of these would you choose?