A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Cold start stalls

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold start stalls

Hey all, I'm having trouble startin gthe car since the tem dropped below 5 degrees (celcius), around 35 F ???. Anyhow, when I put the throttle down to keep the revs up, for a few minutes, the car will idle fine, without doin g this though, it'll falter then stall out.

I put some german injector cleaner through it, with no joy. But this am I tried turning the key on and off four times, to see if is a fuel problem, it started fine....
so is it the filter or pump? I should probably change the filter as I don't know when the Po di it last, but is the pump in the tankl ? That's where I hear the motor working when I turn the key to just before kickin ght e starter up, but youtube search shows a cam follower with a high pressure fuel pump.... confused..
Thanks for any suggestions
ie take intake off and clean carbon out ? do a stage one tune.....sea foam into intake .....
Old 11-22-2017, 03:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mgoodchild1@cogeco.ca
Hey all, I'm having trouble startin gthe car since the tem dropped below 5 degrees (celcius), around 35 F ???. Anyhow, when I put the throttle down to keep the revs up, for a few minutes, the car will idle fine, without doin g this though, it'll falter then stall out.

I put some german injector cleaner through it, with no joy. But this am I tried turning the key on and off four times, to see if is a fuel problem, it started fine....
so is it the filter or pump? I should probably change the filter as I don't know when the Po di it last, but is the pump in the tankl ? That's where I hear the motor working when I turn the key to just before kickin ght e starter up, but youtube search shows a cam follower with a high pressure fuel pump.... confused..
Thanks for any suggestions
ie take intake off and clean carbon out ? do a stage one tune.....sea foam into intake .....
First thing I would do is hook it up to check if there's any codes, and then go from there. I mean there is a lot of things that could make this happen, but you're right fuel filter is very important. How many miles on the car and if the fuel filter was ever replaced. I replace mine every 60k's.

Some more information about the car would help, engine, recent maintenance, how many miles, etc.

A tune up is probably in order, plugs, coils, air filter, fuel filter, oil condition, if it's a 4 banger than check the fuel pump, cam follower, injectors, etc.

Good luck
Old 11-23-2017, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a code: pump malfunction and open circuit, so ordered new pump replaced last night and car runs ok on the test drive last night. This morning battery low(-10 C in Montreal) and again code for the pump car stalls when I was ready to go to work. Now I am gonna replace battery today and see if bad battery has anything to do with this. I was able to start to car and put it in the garage. Costco has a battery for 110$ but + and - is not in the same position as the original battery. I need a top post battery cable to bridge the connection.
Dealer asks 320$ for the battery. Mybe your problem is also weak battery. I will update this thread when I install new battery.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the info, just bought the car (unfortunately no records from dealer - serviced there for fist 8 years, then oung man bought, who then sold to me- too $$$ for him I guess. What do you mean oil condition? I'll get the filter changed soon, and check plugs while doing comp test. Any way to diagnose injectors witout taking the intake off? How big a job is that ????
Car has 177 km, A4 2.0
Thanks again
Old 11-23-2017, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks, my battery is about 5 year old to, let me know how the Costco outfit works.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mgoodchild1@cogeco.ca
Thanks for the info, just bought the car (unfortunately no records from dealer - serviced there for fist 8 years, then oung man bought, who then sold to me- too $$$ for him I guess. What do you mean oil condition? I'll get the filter changed soon, and check plugs while doing comp test. Any way to diagnose injectors witout taking the intake off? How big a job is that ????
Car has 177 km, A4 2.0
Thanks again
With oil condition I meant how bad is the oil, does it need to be changed, but that has nothing to do with the start issue, I was just thinking about a tune up. Plugs could also be dirty, it take 5 minutes to take a plug out and check their condition and if they're gapped properly. I've never had to play with the injectors, but unless you're getting a code for them, they should be fine. I think you can remove them without taking the intake manifold off, but I'm not sure.

My brother just had the same issue as you on his Jetta 2.0t, and he replaced the fuel filter, good as new.

Update this post, I'd like to know what happened.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Old 11-23-2017, 03:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by chobi
I had a code: pump malfunction and open circuit, so ordered new pump replaced last night and car runs ok on the test drive last night. This morning battery low(-10 C in Montreal) and again code for the pump car stalls when I was ready to go to work. Now I am gonna replace battery today and see if bad battery has anything to do with this. I was able to start to car and put it in the garage. Costco has a battery for 110$ but + and - is not in the same position as the original battery. I need a top post battery cable to bridge the connection.
Dealer asks 320$ for the battery. Mybe your problem is also weak battery. I will update this thread when I install new battery.
I don't think stalling has anything to do with the battery. I could be wrong, but once the car starts the alternator takes over and battery has no function.
The fuel pump has this thing called a cam follower and it probably broke on your car causing the problem, and now that you put a new pump maybe the pieces from a broken cam follower from before are still hanging around the cam lobe. Just a speculation though.

Check Canadian Tire or Napa for a proper aftermarket AUDI battery. It may cost a few more bucks but you'll get the right battery.

Let us know what happens.

I love Montreal, only place in North America that reminds me of Europe, I just hate the cold there....
Old 11-24-2017, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

I found in Costco replacement battery that fit my Q5 and even has a hole for the small tube that goes in ( I don't know what is that for). The battery was due to replace anyway. I left car running last night for 10 minutes but was scared to try it today to work. I will see over the weekend how it works. I will also check cam follower. BTW when you replace battery all settings stay the same you have to fix clock only. Recoded battery with Vag-com

Last edited by chobi; 11-24-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

So here we go again, today it hesitated again after passing from red to green light. I came back home put it in the garage, removed High pressure pump and checked cam follower.
Everything looks OK. Scaned the trouble codes:
4732 - Fuel Pump
P3045 00 [101] - Electronics Defective
4735 - Fuel Pump
P3044 00 [100] - Short Circuit
2838 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure
P0087 00 [100] - Too Low
Only thing left is fuel pump control module. I think I will order one and see.
Anyone has any other ideas?

Quick Reply: Cold start stalls