A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Coming from B5 S4 and considering B7 A4

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coming from B5 S4 and considering B7 A4

I just said goodbye to my S4 today. Read <a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2162286.phtml">here</a> and <a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2163668.phtml">here</a>. I recently got a <a href="http://www.deepnetconsulting.com/swedespeed/topgear/">2005 Volvo S60R</a>, but I don't like it nearly as much as I liked my Audi and I'm seriously considering selling it and getting me another Audi.

It would probably be a 2006 A4 6-speed quattro with S-Line, sunroof, premium, technology and audio packages, but I still have a couple of questions:

1) Is the sport package in the S-Line exactly the same as the sport package sold as a separate option, and the price difference is mostly because of the subtle changes in the body and the few stickers here and there? Is anybody making NICE body kits for the B7 yet that could be used to replace the S-Line kit? Is this sport suspension exactly the same suspension that's standard in the B7 S4?

2) I've read posts about the steering being too soft and that's one of the things that I'm hating about the Volvo. I know is has that Senstronic (or whatever the name is) technology that hardens steering at higher speeds, but does that mean the driver doesn't feel that connection/communication with the road unless he's really pushing it?

I guess this question sort of sums the other 2 up:

3) I plan to chip this car, so it should be plenty fast, but other than performance, will I miss my B5 S4? I am looking for a car that's not only fast, but also handles just as well and is just as much fun to drive and toss around. (I don't want to get a BMW, though.)

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Coming from B5 S4 and considering B7 A4

Well, I made a kinda-sorta similar move...went from a B5 [98.5 2.8q] to a B7 [2.0tq]...with a couple years driving a TT inbetween.

One of my great automotive regrets was selling my B5...it was a really great car that didn't cost very much, that said, the B7 is better in just about every way you can think of. The TT was nice...an oversized go-kart...definatly a fun car, but not as refined as an A4...thus my regret over parting with my B5 [that and the added cost of the TT].

The 2.0t is a great engine...beats the 30v 2.8 in the B5 and the 20v 1.8t in the TT [although I still have good memories of the 1.8t]...easy on gas, good torque...it's just a plain good engine. The interior is like the B5, but definatly improved and refined...more of what was already a very good thing.

My only real gripe about the B5 was the tranny and clutch...and that's been just about totally dealt with in the B7...much more positive feel to both and a better/shorter throw with the tranny.

As far as the servotronic steering goes...it is a bit odd at first, and you will initially get the feeling of a "disconnect" between you and the road [at least I did]...now, I've grown quite accustomed to it...I think it's a nice feature, while when I took delivery of the car I would have paid extra to not have it. I've heard talk 'round here that there's a relay or fuse [can't remember exactly] that you can remove/disable that will disable the low-speed servo assist, so if you can't get used to the feeling, I think there is a way out? Perhaps someone more knowledgable about such things can correct or confirm what I'm talking about?

As far as the Sline suspension vs. regular sport suspension...same thing. The Sline package is the sport suspension, 18" wheels, and a body kit with some interior/exterior badging and such...that's about it. Doesn't seem like a very good deal to me...I only have the sport package [no Sline] and don't regret it a bit. My only regret is not stepping up to the Nav+ package...still too expensive at $2000, IMO, but a very cool feature that also improves the look of the cabin.

I love the B7...damn fine car!
Old 11-07-2005, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks so much for the information you provide

Magazines love the 2.0T FSI engine and so should I, especially once I upgrae my ECU. I don't doubt that.

My only concern is with suspension and the fun-to-drive factor. You didn't mention whether the sport suspension in the A4 is the same suspension that's standard in the S4.

I would definitely be interested in finding out if there is indeed a fuse to disable Servotronic.

I've read more than one post that agrees with you in that the $3000 S-Line package is overpriced. In fact, you've made me think of the possibility of replacing that option by the navi. You can get the sport suspension by itself for only $250, I personally don't like the 18' wheels much and I'm sure nicer body kits will be in the market soon. However, you cannot install a navi system after you get the car without it, and this option is $1K cheaper than the S-Line (although still overpriced too, as you say).

Thanks again!
Old 11-07-2005, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default More...

Servotronic is not bad. Steering is VERY light at parking speeds, but anything above that, and it is nicely weighted. Interesting thing was when I came to a Stop sign - taking a left. Steering remained stiff, it did not go into the super light parking assist. So, if you need lots of steering feedback as you par the car - Ok it sucks. Otherwise is fine.

S-Line is overpriced, but also VERY nice. Sport seats should have been included.

Suspension is VERY nice. Much nicer than B5 stock suspension. Do not know how it compares to B7 S4. Having said that, the car still needs to be lowered to look good. Not sure why Audi likes the Allroad look.

2.0T unchipped is slow, but acceptable. Chipped should be adequate. If your S4 was chipped, then maybe almost adequate. if your S4 was stock, chipped 2.0T will be fine.

All the information above is based on an extended - 20 hr test drive and 1 week of research.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I agree with you. Sport seats should have been included in the S-Line package.

I never got around to chipping my S4, so I should be OK with a chipped 2.0T. What 0-60 times are people getting?

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have not seen ANY 0-60 or 1/4 miles times, yet. I guess no 2.0T owner is really serious. ;-)
Old 11-08-2005, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default An observation on 0-60 mph times for chipped 2.0T

Well, if the stock B5 S4 was able to do 0-60 mph in 5.4s with 250 HP @ 5800 RPM and 258 ft-lbs @ 1850 RPM and Neuspeed's ECU upgrade for the 2.0T engine ups numbers to 257 HP and 308 ft-lbs, you can only guess they'll be in the same territory, if the A4 doesn't take the S4.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have a stock S4 Avant, and when I get the 2.0... will find out!
Old 11-08-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Re: An observation on 0-60 mph times for chipped 2.0T

I would doubt it would be the same times though, I wish there were tests done already, I really only want the 2.0t if I can chip it to get it to &lt;6 for 0-60