A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Couple questions before buying B7 Audi A4

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple questions before buying B7 Audi A4

Hey guys! I'm in the market for a new car and I was looking at the B7 A4 between 2006 and 2008(newer if I can find a good deal). Since I'm still a college students and my funds are pretty much limited I'm looking at Audi's under $18k. I'm looking to keep my following car for about 4 to 5 years.

So here are my questions...

1) What mileage is too much? I'm probably going to put around 80k miles on it during the time I have it. For my price range I see a lot of 50-70k mile cars

2) What do you guys pay on average for a service? I hear it's pretty expensive for Audi's. And what other costs are there?

3) Is getting a Quattro version worth it? I can see how it's handy in the winter with snow but front wheel drive is already pretty good.

4)Last but not least... If I get an Audi I'm probably going to tune it via APR. What performance increase did you guys see with 0-60 pulls and so on. Does the Quattro feel less power since it's putting out to all wheels and how does it affect fuel economy?

Sorry I know that's a lot of questions, but I feel someone else in the future would ask the same things... So I'll ask it first

Thanks
Louie
Old 03-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dont get it unless you have warranty on it. save you a lot of headache and money if it comes with it.
Originally Posted by Shifty22123
Hey guys! I'm in the market for a new car and I was looking at the B7 A4 between 2006 and 2008(newer if I can find a good deal). Since I'm still a college students and my funds are pretty much limited I'm looking at Audi's under $18k. I'm looking to keep my following car for about 4 to 5 years.

So here are my questions...

1) What mileage is too much? I'm probably going to put around 80k miles on it during the time I have it. For my price range I see a lot of 50-70k mile cars

2) What do you guys pay on average for a service? I hear it's pretty expensive for Audi's. And what other costs are there?

3) Is getting a Quattro version worth it? I can see how it's handy in the winter with snow but front wheel drive is already pretty good.

4)Last but not least... If I get an Audi I'm probably going to tune it via APR. What performance increase did you guys see with 0-60 pulls and so on. Does the Quattro feel less power since it's putting out to all wheels and how does it affect fuel economy?

Sorry I know that's a lot of questions, but I feel someone else in the future would ask the same things... So I'll ask it first

Thanks
Louie
Old 03-20-2011, 06:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

1) For $18 the 50-70k mileage range is appropriate. My GF bought one with 40k and CPO for about 24k. Unfortunately if you can't spend more, I don't think you'll find a car with lower mileage.

2) Service at the dealer is about $120/hour now. Just and oil change is around $150 (synthetic only). This car is great if you keep up on the scheduled maintenance. If you are not good about that kind of thing, then I would skip it as the repair costs can just completely skyrocket. I'd recommend a local Audi/VW shop or DIY since most regular maintenance items are easy (especially since there are a lot of online parts dealers). Of note, the timing belt service is due at 75k, which will set you back about $1500 at the dealer, or about $300 for a DIY.

3) Quattro will be a huge difference from a FWD car. However, from what I've read and seen Quattro is not the best AWD system. The Subaru and Honda/Acura systems are supposed to be superior. With that, I've never been stuck with my Quattro and I like all the other aspects of the Audi.

4) Not sure what the gains are from APR, you can probably find that on their website. When I chipped my 1.8T A4 it was a really great upgrade for the cost. I don't have any times or HP numbers to quote, but I plan on doing it again to my 2.0T, no question about that.

Good luck on your decision.